cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #11
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I fwieght loss is your goal, you need to be doing about 45 minutes a day of a long, slow workout. As was already saud, those are the ones that melt the fat. Problem is that most people can't run for that long. Especially beginners. That's is why cycling so so great. And you don't need an expensive bike. I lost 90 lbs in 6 months on a 10 year old Trek 800.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
I fwieght loss is your goal, you need to be doing about 45 minutes a day of a long, slow workout. As was already saud, those are the ones that melt the fat. Problem is that most people can't run for that long. Especially beginners. That's is why cycling so so great. And you don't need an expensive bike. I lost 90 lbs in 6 months on a 10 year old Trek 800.
Trek 800??? I thought my first bike took the cake - Trek 1000 with down tube shifters and Suntour components. We have a new winner!!!
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

That was me by the way.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Trek 800??? I thought my first bike took the cake - Trek 1000 with down tube shifters and Suntour components. We have a new winner!!!
Hey blueguest, you forgot to log in. :wink:
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
bluegoose

How'd you know it was me? Was it my graphic description of that piece of crap that you used to have to shag parts that kept falling off?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

All you racer weight weenie types . . . . I'll have you know that in the touring community down-tube shifters are considerd desireable, becasue they can be easily replaced if broken and you are on the road to timbuktu. Moreover, I still have a cannondale crit frame, circa 89 or 90 with shimano 600 (Ultegra before they called it ultegra) down-tube sifters that I love and ride evry now and again just for fun. It is one of the stiffest and most responsive frames I have ever been on (but doing a long century on it can be bad on the back). So don't bag on the down tube shifters, they still work for some of us gray-haired geezers.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #17
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
Don't knock it. I put about 1000 miles of road and mountain biking on it in about a 3 month period a couple of summers ago. The thing road like a champ. I just sold it for 75 bucks.
I did up-grade the shifters though.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
All you racer weight weenie types . . . . I'll have you know that in the touring community down-tube shifters are considerd desireable, becasue they can be easily replaced if broken and you are on the road to timbuktu. Moreover, I still have a cannondale crit frame, circa 89 or 90 with shimano 600 (Ultegra before they called it ultegra) down-tube sifters that I love and ride evry now and again just for fun. It is one of the stiffest and most responsive frames I have ever been on (but doing a long century on it can be bad on the back). So don't bag on the down tube shifters, they still work for some of us gray-haired geezers.
Hey old man!!! I think the neighbor kids are playing on your lawn again.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:36 AM   #19
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

I guess that's what you get when you post a question about running on a cycling forum. You get a bunch of cyclists telling you that you should be doing what they do(cycle).

To be fair, though, I think highly of cycling and its benefits, mainly the lack of injuries(my favorite part about it).

I have found running to be very rewarding as it has helped me, along with diet(of course), lose 53 pounds. As far as avoiding shin splints go, if you are a beginner start low(mileage) and slow. Start with a mile, maybe two and do that for a couple of weeks. From then on increase your mileage every week or every other week but, either way, no more than 10% at a time. You WILL get into trouble if you violate this rule. And for pete's sake make sure you have decent shoes. Go to a running specialty store as those jokers at the mall generaly don't know what they're talking about and probably don't have what you need anyways. A running store can get you set up right. Make sure that your running shoes are a size larger than your wearing shoes as your feet swell somewhat as you run. That was a painful lesson that I learned.

Shin Splints: these are tough to get over sometimes. The best thing that you can do to speed the healing process is crosstrain(swimming is really good, also cycling) and apply cold(ice pack is best. You can also try a product like 'Mineral Ice') to the affected are for a 10-20 minutes every day. There is no substitute giving it time to heal, though.

I hope that this helps.

Last edited by realtall; 04-28-2006 at 03:43 AM.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote