cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

So creekster, what kind of free stuff did you get this year? Is it worth the 3 hour drive down south for me to pick up a bag?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
So creekster, what kind of free stuff did you get this year? Is it worth the 3 hour drive down south for me to pick up a bag?
The Schwag was so-so this year. I got, in no particular order:

1. A local public bus brochure telling me how easy it is to take my bike on the bus. [BORING]

2. A Coupon for a free Chipotle burrito, bowl, taco or salad [Very NICE]

3. A coupon for $1 off any 2 Numi Tea items. Maybe I could Send Triplet's admin out to pick these up. [BORING]

4. A very nicely printed ad for an American Lung Benefit ride in Rohnert park in June. [BORING but informative]

5. Two Numi tea bags (one is Mint Moroccan herbal teasan, whatever that means, and th eother Jasmine Green Tea). [BORING]

6. A mini banana Nut Bread Clif Bar [NICE]

7. A small Scharffen Berger bittersweet fine artisan dark Chocolate bar. [Very NICE]

8. All of the above was handed to me in a lightweight canvas musette bag that is silk screened with a bunch of sponsors and a silhouette of a bunch of people on comfort bikes. I have a bunch of these types of bags from years past. I never use them.

There were no maps (I love maps), very little food (usually they give away more energy bars and fruit). There were a LOT of people riding today. The attendants at the free stuff station told me they had over twice as many riders this year as last year. I guess that's what 4 bucks a gallon does for you.

It was a spectacular morning for a ride but it will be hotter than hades later today.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I rode with no other bikers and got nothing. It was Awesome.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Where are you Coach?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
bluegoose

Creekster, I've decided I won't be coming down for that sorry excuse for a musette bag. Now if they had more chocolate and better Clif Bar flavs, then maybe. If they had good maps, then I would be there by noon (I, too, loves maps. Probably a cartographer/GIS guy in a past life).

How did the dark chocolate last on the rest of the ride to the office? It was 80+ degrees by 8:00 this morning here. It would have been hot choco if I had tried to carry that in my jersey pockets today.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
bluegoose

Quote:
Yesterday while driving to work I saw a peleton of about 12 guys riding together to work. How did I know they were going to work, you ask? They were dressed in all varieties of work attire, including one guy with levi's and a mountain bike and another with a white shirt and tie (I'm pretty sure there was no black nametag). I wish that I had a camera. I've never seen more than 1 morning bike commuter on my morning drive.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #17
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Creekster, I've decided I won't be coming down for that sorry excuse for a musette bag. Now if they had more chocolate and better Clif Bar flavs, then maybe. If they had good maps, then I would be there by noon (I, too, loves maps. Probably a cartographer/GIS guy in a past life).

How did the dark chocolate last on the rest of the ride to the office? It was 80+ degrees by 8:00 this morning here. It would have been hot choco if I had tried to carry that in my jersey pockets today.

The free stuff sation is pretty close to my office so it didn't have time to melt. I agree; this bag is not worth the time.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Where are you Coach?
Utah County, Work is in East Bay. Usually I see some bikers but since I am riding to work this week. I haven't seen more than one during my bike commutes this week.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #19
creekster

Quote:
Utah County, Work is in East Bay. Usually I see some bikers but since I am riding to work this week. I haven't seen more than one during my bike commutes this week.

Is East Bay in Utah County? This is embarrassing as I grew up in Utah but don't know what you mean by East Bay.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
creekster

Wait! I forgot something! I also got a free sample size of Badger spf30 sunblock. Now is it worth the drive, BG?