cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Feed bag

I am just curious what everybody does to keep the carbs flowing on the longer rides.
Personally, I eat a power bar pre-ride or run. Then a tube of chocolate GU every 30 minutes during. It seems to work pretty well. I have never had a major bonk. But I am always looking to be more efficient.
Anyone. Archea, I know you have an anser to this question.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Sugars usually only help for about ninety minutes to two hours. After that, you need to replenish proteins.

I have been experimenting with Perpetuum mixed with various other supplements. Perpetuum has a multiple hour formula, which gets very thick, doesn't taste very good, but replenishes caloric needs.

Remember you can burn 800 to 1000 calories but can only absorb much less than that. You need to load prior to workouts.

If you've never bonked, you've never pushed yourself to the limits. Bonking is important to know limits.

What does one do to work a century hard? What about a double century? What about a hard day of mountain climbing with an excess of 10,000 feet of climbing.

If somebody states he has never bonked, then he has never worked hard. Every guy on a bike has bonked. I bonk all the time, pushing myself to my limits.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

You say that you are experimentiing with this perpetuum. I am not familiar with it. Is it a drink? I know there are several brand of protein drinks on the market.
On my longer rides I do eat a protein bar about every 60 minutes.
The sugar keeps me going just fine other wise.
\What about post ride revovery? I know of lots of other products for that. But the new research is saying that chocolate milk is just as effective.
As for "bonking", I guess we define it differently.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Archaea

Default Perpetuum is made by Hammer

products which also produces Recoverite.

Most important is getting protein or dirty protein within twenty minutes of completing the workout.

I eat turkey breast, sometimes with rice and corn after a long ride.

How long will you keep your heartrate near lacktate threshholds? If you do it long enough, you will bonk.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

How long I keep my heart rate at lactate threshholds is usually determined by my course. Some days I ride American Fork canyon. Which is a long, slow climb. I will come out of the saddle and pound for a few minutes, then recover.
Other routes have shorter but much steeper climbs that last for 2 to 3 minutes.
My ride last saturday was a long, mostly flat loop. I didn't really hammer down til the last 3 or 4 miles.
I guess what i'm saing is that I am probably not as scientific as I could be. When i sprint, I go as hard as I can til I can't anymore. Same with climbs.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Pre-ride, I often will eat 1 or 2 energy or fruit bars.

During a ride, typically the same. I find that fruit bars will do just fine for sustaining glycogen levels if taken on a regular basis, say every 30-45 minutes. On more intense rides lasting more than 3 hours, I've found that I also do much better with eating something specifically to replace electrolytes, namely Sodium and Potassium. Tablets work okay in a pinch, but a handful of crackers also does just fine. Some exercise drinks do well in this area, but I find myself more in need of water on a long ride, so I save my bottles for that and just pack a bag of crackers or whatever in the jersey pockets to tie me over.

As far as post-ride recovery, I was also very interested to read recently that chocolate milk contains most of what the body needs to recover, namely an appropriate blend of carbs and proteins. And of course, it is liquid which absorbs much better when the gastrointestinals may not be working full speed yet. I can drink choco milk like its going out of style after a hard workout, so that was very good news to me. A nice bowl of cereal also tastes like manna from heaven after a hard ride.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I guess i always thought that a fruit bar takes too long to process to be very effective. But I guess on a ride lating more than a couple of hours, that doesn't really matter. I like the GU because it is a quick shot of sugar. it tends to make itself known in a few minutes.
My real problem is with long runs. I have to be vry careful what i eat before or during a long run because it tends to give me real stomach problems. Which is bad when you are several miles from home. I am still trying to tweak that whole process. Today I am planning to run up Big Cottonwood canyon again. My routine has been a power bar an hour before the run and a gel packet as needed. I run with a water bottle to stay hydrated.
Any suggestions there?
Old 04-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Archaea

EAt oatmeal before, some protein ninety minutes before, and during run, try Enervitene, it has a cola flavor to die for, and some other nuts during the run.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Thats a very good question about the running.

I've never run more than about 90 minutes, so I've never really had to eat while running.

A couple of years ago my father in law did the Wasatch 100 and had a terrible time getting anything done after about 50 miles. NOt even gu or gatorade. He tried everything imaginable, but I think he just got started eating too late, after the first feed stop at 25 miles.

As a result, he totally bonked at 83 miles and literally could not take another forward step after that. Took his kidneys about 2 weeks to fully recover and funciton properly. Fun stuff, eh.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

All this talk kind of makes you ask why we do this to ourselves. I think we are all just sick.
Arch, I'll take your advice. Although I can't do nuts during a run. They tear me up inside. I would hate to see what they do to me when I am several miles up the canyon.