cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Dauphine TT

1. Zabriskie
2. Leipheimer
3.Landis
4. Hicapie
Top four spots go to American riders.
How cool is that?
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Very cool. I like Dave Z's comment when asked why Americans seem to excel a ITT he said sokmething like "maybe becasue unlike the Europeans we always start off ridding alone."

Zabriskie is awesome. It will also be interresting to see how Landis does on Ventoux. If he does well, he may really be in good position to do well in the TdF. I earlier wondered if he had peaked too early this year, but his form looks reasonably good now. Tomorrow will be very interesting in the Dauphine.

p.s. Q, I iwll hate myslef for doing this, and please take it in the best spirit possible, but did you notice Zabriskie's average speed, which speed was almost a minute faster than Landis on the course?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Your dragging up ancient history here. Don't worry about me taking it the wrong way.
He averaged over 30 MPH over a very long TT course. I would think this could be used as evidence either way to argue the very old argument.
In any case, Z is an animal. The fact that he is a hometown boy makes it all the better. Especially when you add the element of his recovery form that crash.
I am really excited about the headway that the Americans are making in cycling. The tag line on this forum says that Mercx built the house and Lance lived in it. I think that is way off base and a lot of what we are now enjoying (i.e. pissing off the European snobs), is owed To LA. Because of him, a whole new crop of kids is getting addicted to the greatest individual sport in the world.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
The tag line on this forum says that Mercx built the house and Lance lived in it. I think that is way off base and a lot of what we are now enjoying (i.e. pissing off the European snobs), is owed To LA. Because of him, a whole new crop of kids is getting addicted to the greatest individual sport in the world.
I don't follow. Are you arguing that Armstrong was better than Mercx? Or are you just saying that Lance did more than live in the house; he added on?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I think that when you look at what each one (or any other big American cyclist like LeMond) did for the sport, LA made the greatestcontribution. Before him cycling had it's hard core followers. But lance made it main stream. People started to care about the tdf. And lots were drawn to try it themselves. American cycling will have a much larger pool of talent to draw from. So it will get a higher caliber rider.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
I think that when you look at what each one (or any other big American cyclist like LeMond) did for the sport, LA made the greatestcontribution. Before him cycling had it's hard core followers. But lance made it main stream. People started to care about the tdf. And lots were drawn to try it themselves. American cycling will have a much larger pool of talent to draw from. So it will get a higher caliber rider.
LA certainly put cycling over the top here in America, but Merckx is the king. No one has come close to his dominance in the sport.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
LA certainly put cycling over the top here in America, but Merckx is the king. No one has come close to his dominance in the sport.
I would accept that argument if you are basing it on total victotires.
But LA seems almost super-human. Like he wins when he wants. If someone beat him it was because he let them. Peolple that competed against him talk of his ability to make the competition suffer. If you thought you could ride with him, you would pay dearly.
I just don't think you can judge a cyclist by the number of victories. Lie any athlete, you need to draw people to you and your sport. Lance did that better than anybody. He also sold a lot of bikes for Trek.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
creekster

Quote:
I would accept that argument if you are basing it on total victotires.
But LA seems almost super-human. Like he wins when he wants. If someone beat him it was because he let them. Peolple that competed against him talk of his ability to make the competition suffer. If you thought you could ride with him, you would pay dearly.
I just don't think you can judge a cyclist by the number of victories. Lie any athlete, you need to draw people to you and your sport. Lance did that better than anybody. He also sold a lot of bikes for Trek.
With all due respect, and I mean that, I must conclude only that you have never learned much about Merckx's career. His nickname was the Caniibal for a reason. He would devour people. HE won everyhting, and he won it in every conceivable way. In 69 he was accused of doping at the giro. This made him mad so he went to the TdF and he won by over 17 minutes. Plus he won the green jersey AND the polka dot jersey AND, if it had existed, he would have also won the white jersey. He won every frickin' jersey they had in that race! There were no tactics that year, he absolutely wiped out the field. The guy won 5 TdF (and would have won at least 6 but for a deranged french fan who sucker punched him in the kidneys during a climb), 5 Giros, a Vuelta, A bunch of Milan-San Remos, three or four World Champioships, a bunch of classics, a bunch of 6-day track races, and he set a new hour record by over 700 meters. Moreover, don't forget that one year the French told him not to come to the TdF becasue he was too dominant. Plus, the guy wa salmost killed in a bad track bike accident in 1969 yet still recovered to ride with dominance. Amazing.

Draw people to the sport? Maybe LA did this, although I am not so sure as well as you may think. He certainly drew people to watch a yank beat up on the French, but I hope you are right that this will translate into more long term interest and particiaption among americans. Merckx raced only in Europe and the sport was already fabulously popular, so I am not too sure how one would measure his ability to draw people to the sport. I do know he turned bike racing into a pseudo-religion in his native Belgium.

This is an argument no one can really win or lose, and Merckx himself has said it is folly to compare riders from different eras. As much as I like LA as an athlete (although he is a jerk as a person, IMO) Merckx is still the King of bike riding. LA may have renovated the house, but Merckx definitely built it.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Creekster, I concede every one of your points. Mercx was great. And you just taught me a few things that I did not know about him.
You are right that this argument can't be won. It comes down to personal opinion.
I will only reiterate that it seems that cycling is finally starting to get a foot hold in the US. aAnd I couldn't be happier. There are several great american riders. And I hope that Tyler Hamiltion rides again when the suspension is lifted in Sep.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
creekster

Tyler is an interesting case. I have always liked him and hoped he would succeed, and his ride in the Tour with a broken cololarbone was very impressive and girtty. That being said, it sure looks to me like he was a cheater. I have read everything I can about the guy and his case and I find his defensdes to be almost silly. In fact, if somebody like Fignon (who was famously dour and unpleasant) asserted such things even the French would laugh at him.

All I can say, I guess, is that I hope he is clean, or at least stays clean, and that he will race again, becasue he seems like a very nice guy.