cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for him.

It's nice to get it behind you.

I don't know when my next full will be. I'm taking next year off to increase my leg speed on the bike and on the track.

I may want to try Ironman China after they get the kinks out.l
Old 11-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

I have only begun to TRI. I have competed in about 3 sprints and 1 olympic distance in the last 2 seasons. But I have finally bought a road bike (all my previous training was on a mountian bike and competed on a borrowed bike) so next season I am expecting to ramp it up a bit. I plan on actually setting a training scedule and sticking to it, shouldn't be too intense though.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I have only begun to TRI. I have competed in about 3 sprints and 1 olympic distance in the last 2 seasons. But I have finally bought a road bike (all my previous training was on a mountian bike and competed on a borrowed bike) so next season I am expecting to ramp it up a bit. I plan on actually setting a training scedule and sticking to it, shouldn't be too intense though.
Did my first tri on a borrowed bike, too. And trained on the mountain bike. Not good.

I hope you like your new road bike! I like mine...it's a super girly (read: pink) Specialized WSD.
: D

In the winter, do you guys ride on the roads or trainers? I prefer to ride the trainer indoors, but my husband says I'm a wuss. In my defense, he IS from Montana.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
Archaea

Outdoors, but it is Vegas, and I ride indoors, only when I'm too lazy or feeling like 20 degrees with wind isn't fun. (Longest indoor ride, 3 and one half hours, longest outdoor ride to date 8 hours, so you see the difference).

I have a trainer and a CompuTrainer, but it still not as fun outdoors.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-06-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Weather permitting, I prefer to ride outdoors. Last year I rode several days outdoors in the rain, sleet and even snow on one day. I was completely miserable the whole time. This year I plan to ride more on the trainer.

Mountain biking on the other hand is a blast in the rain. Even if it is a cold rain, you don't get the wind like on the road, so it is much more tolerable.

I would also like to try the rollers a bit more this winter. A buddy of mine that is new to our saturday morning group used to race cat I. He always used rollers in the off-season when racing. It totally improves your pedal stroke and bike handling skills. The lack of significant resistance also allowed him to keep the heart rate down to work on building the aerobic base.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Weather permitting, I prefer to ride outdoors. Last year I rode several days outdoors in the rain, sleet and even snow on one day. I was completely miserable the whole time. This year I plan to ride more on the trainer.

Mountain biking on the other hand is a blast in the rain. Even if it is a cold rain, you don't get the wind like on the road, so it is much more tolerable.

I would also like to try the rollers a bit more this winter. A buddy of mine that is new to our saturday morning group used to race cat I. He always used rollers in the off-season when racing. It totally improves your pedal stroke and bike handling skills. The lack of significant resistance also allowed him to keep the heart rate down to work on building the aerobic base.
So a Cat 1 racer is upgrading to your Saturday morning group?

Are you and Creek the masters of the sandbag?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So a Cat 1 racer is upgrading to your Saturday morning group?

Are you and Creek the masters of the sandbag?
He tried to get in a couple of years ago, but his crit times just weren't cuttin the mustard. So after 2 years of intense training, he is finally up to race pace to keep up with the saturday morning ride.

Either that, or else he raced Cat I almost 20 years and 100 pounds ago and is just getting back into shape. I always get the details mixed up.

He is doing great though. He has dropped 50 pounds so far, has ridden at least 10 consecutive weeks over 100 miles and does very well on fast group rides until the road gets steep. I think I may have mentioned him a couple of weeks ago in a ride report. He is lethal on the flats and downhills, and is slowly improving on climbs.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
He tried to get in a couple of years ago, but his crit times just weren't cuttin the mustard. So after 2 years of intense training, he is finally up to race pace to keep up with the saturday morning ride.

Either that, or else he raced Cat I almost 20 years and 100 pounds ago and is just getting back into shape. I always get the details mixed up.

He is doing great though. He has dropped 50 pounds so far, has ridden at least 10 consecutive weeks over 100 miles and does very well on fast group rides until the road gets steep. I think I may have mentioned him a couple of weeks ago in a ride report. He is lethal on the flats and downhills, and is slowly improving on climbs.
This guy sounds just like me, really, except for the Cat I part. As I have said before, someday Arch is going to meet me and then he will feel guilty making so much fun of me. Its like jeering a kid that falls down the steps of the short bus; It might be fun, but it just isn't very nice.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This guy sounds just like me, really, except for the Cat I part. As I have said before, someday Arch is going to meet me and then he will feel guilty making so much fun of me. Its like jeering a kid that falls down the steps of the short bus; It might be fun, but it just isn't very nice.
How is singing your praises, as the man that crushed the Century under five hours by bazillions of minutes jeering at the sanbagger?

I'm just worried you won't wait for me on our friendly ride this December. I may have to recruit Tyler Hamilton to help me keep up with you. Goose is giving me hints on how to design a course that you like.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-06-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote