cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Where have you been Q?

Did you pass your drug test?
Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Where have you been Q?

Did you pass your drug test?
I took a leave of absence. The last few months have been really chaoticfor me.
My riding/running schedule really suffered as well and I am really out of shape. I would go as far as to say that I am a mere mortal now. I have been riding lately trying to get back in shape. But it is a long road back.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Archaea

Cycling fitness leaves one fast. I'm still not there, nor will I ever reach your exalted levels, or the exalted levels of Mike, Creekster or Bluegoose.

I want someday to break five hours for the century during a tri, but I find it doubtful.

We have Lotojaclassic with its 206. I wonder if breaking ten is feasible.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Cycling fitness leaves one fast. I'm still not there, nor will I ever reach your exalted levels, or the exalted levels of Mike, Creekster or Bluegoose.

I want someday to break five hours for the century during a tri, but I find it doubtful.

We have Lotojaclassic with its 206. I wonder if breaking ten is feasible.
What has been tough is that my brain keeps writing checks my body can't cash. It doesn't understand why the legs and lungs don't respond like they used to. But I'll get back there. I didn't put on any additional weight during the layoff. I have really been working the hills. I think that's the fastest way back.
Breaking 5 hrs in a Tri would be a great feat. Good luck on that.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I'd like to run a marathon eventually, I'm shooting for a half marathon in the fall. With two small kids, I can usually only workout in the gym, and running for long distances on the treadmill gets very boring.
I've done two marathons. The first pre-kids, the second when my son was a toddler. If you're going to do it, I suggest making sure Mike is totally on board and ready to sacrifice half a Saturday when you need to get a long run in. Danimal was great, but I still felt guilty. Pretty much our Saturdays were shot while I was training.

Also, I trained in the summer and there were a few Saturday mornings when our schedule kept me from getting in my long run early. Since there was no way I was going to run 15 or more out in the hot, humid Memphis sun, I went to the gym. One afternoon I ran 17 miles on the indoor track--that's 170 laps! I get dizzy just thinking about it.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
One afternoon I ran 17 miles on the indoor track--that's 170 laps! I get dizzy just thinking about it.
That is a really short track... only a 10th of a Mile? I'd say you got dizzy. I'd struggle with the 68 laps on a regular track...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've done two marathons. The first pre-kids, the second when my son was a toddler. If you're going to do it, I suggest making sure Mike is totally on board and ready to sacrifice half a Saturday when you need to get a long run in. Danimal was great, but I still felt guilty. Pretty much our Saturdays were shot while I was training.

Also, I trained in the summer and there were a few Saturday mornings when our schedule kept me from getting in my long run early. Since there was no way I was going to run 15 or more out in the hot, humid Memphis sun, I went to the gym. One afternoon I ran 17 miles on the indoor track--that's 170 laps! I get dizzy just thinking about it.
When Mrs. Red Death was pregnant I trained for my first marathon. On saturday mornings at 6 in the morning I would have her drive me 18 miles away from our house and I would run home. the whole saturday wasnt wasted and it was cool enough that I didn't want to kill someone
Old 03-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
A cyclist with a beer gut is not a cyclist. They are merely recreational riders who spent too much miney on gear they will never really need or use.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. (anyone notice a trend here?)
Old 03-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Only problem is my bike is broken.

WHat does that mean? Bikes rarely 'break' and most things other than a cracked aluminum or CF frame can usually be fixed pretty quickly.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:

Great for you. My wife started running them more than ten years ago, even though she's been running for 25 years. We rise early and each alternate workouts.

A half is fun and relatively easy on the body. It's post 16 to 18 miles, where certain biochemical reactions start injurying the body. But I ran my first marathon after 112 on the bike and 2.4 swim. It was NOT fun, but your body can do more than you think.

Keep doing it girls.