cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 AM   #31
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I too got the Nike plus and was running 5 times a week and getting back into pretty decent shape. But alas I got some itb inflammation that after 4 weeks I've been unable to shake. It's incredibly frustrating. Every time I test it I get about a half mile and the pain starts right on cue. Once that happens, it's a good 3 days to be pain free (resting, no running). I guess I'll wait a couple more weeks to try again. I had reached a point where I could hold a 7:45 mile for 6 miles but haven't been able to get that kind of a workout for a month now. I've had to resort to swimming but I'm not a good enough swimmer to get a good half hour workout. I'm dead in 10 minutes. I hate ITB syndrome, it's frustrated my fitness plans a few times in the past couple of years.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #32
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Sizzle, your post has inspired me to start exercising again. I'm fatter now than I've ever been in my life. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away I used to be a runner so I would like to start running again; however, the last time I started running at this weight I soon developed shin splints. I think I'm too fat for my frame to be running at this weight. Thus, I'm going to start off walking and lifting weights. As I get down to a more reasonable weight for my frame then I can start running again.
Awesome, glad I could inspire even if a little bit.

I too, am probably too overweight to just start running, but I am making strides and it feels great. Here is hoping that I can get under the 235 threshold sometime this week.

Quote:
I too got the Nike plus and was running 5 times a week and getting back into pretty decent shape. But alas I got some itb inflammation that after 4 weeks I've been unable to shake. It's incredibly frustrating. Every time I test it I get about a half mile and the pain starts right on cue. Once that happens, it's a good 3 days to be pain free (resting, no running). I guess I'll wait a couple more weeks to try again. I had reached a point where I could hold a 7:45 mile for 6 miles but haven't been able to get that kind of a workout for a month now. I've had to resort to swimming but I'm not a good enough swimmer to get a good half hour workout. I'm dead in 10 minutes. I hate ITB syndrome, it's frustrated my fitness plans a few times in the past couple of years.
Steel, at least take some solice in knowing that you were my inspiration for getting Nike + and getting started with the whole running kick. My fastest mile so far is just over 8 minutes (I know, I am slow and out of shape, but I'm working on it ) but I am getting better. When I started I was struggling to run a 10 minute mile, so it's progress. I figure with increased muscle strength and a lower weight, I should be able to drop that as well. We'll see how things go, but I hope your legs feel better. I like the challenges better when you're active in them.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #33
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Sizzle you've inspired me too. At least to post my efforts. Once upon a time I had a pretty decent looking body. I never looked like a Spartan. Probably as big as one, but not as cut.

Anyway, my 10 year HS reunion in June has also been a motivator and I can say that since October I have lost 27 pounds, 2" off of my waist. I am still a fat ass. I am still in the 260 range. I have a frame that can carry the weight and deceptively hides it, but trust me when I first stepped on the scale in October I almost fell over. Being that close to 300 scared me.

I guess naturally I am a combination endo mesomorph. I can gain mass staring at weights. But I have a hard time getting trim. My workouts are daily and they usually consist of 45 minutes of cardio on the eliptical machine. I should run but I loathe running. Running without a purpose like dribbling or chasing a ball doesn't make sense to me. So I workout on the eliptical since it's still load bearing and no shock to the joints. I try and play ball everyday also to get some lateral movement and maybe some sprints in. In the evenings I lift. But to minimize my gains and to keep my HR up I usually do a circuit similar to the Body For Life workout. I do a myoplex shake for breakfast after my cardio with a light yogurt and usually eat a big lunch followed by an afternoon snack and then another myoplex after lifting and a small dinner. I have pretty much eliminated all soda from my diet since November. Not that I drank much before but I opt for water or juice whenever possible. Occasionally I'll have a diet Coke or something.

Seems to be working so far. I hope to be down to 240 or so by June. I think it's lofty but attainable. My ultimate goal would be to stay around 225.

You guys are inspiring.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #34
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Running without a purpose like dribbling or chasing a ball doesn't make sense to me. So I workout on the eliptical since it's still load bearing and no shock to the joints. I try and play ball everyday also to get some lateral movement and maybe some sprints in. In the evenings I lift. But to minimize my gains and to keep my HR up I usually do a circuit similar to the Body For Life workout.
That's why I love my Nike +. I can track how much I'm running and you can compete in 'virtual races' so it's not like I'm running without a purpose. I'm running to stay ahead of Steel Blue. And I made my powersong "I'm Sorry That I Got Fat" by Wesley Willis. Now everytime I need that extra motivation to remember why I'm running, I can hear all about eating fatty foods at McDonlads. It's like it's an inner battle with me and my belly and I'll be damned if I don't win.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #35
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
That's why I love my Nike +. I can track how much I'm running and you can compete in 'virtual races' so it's not like I'm running without a purpose. I'm running to stay ahead of Steel Blue. And I made my powersong "I'm Sorry That I Got Fat" by Wesley Willis. Now everytime I need that extra motivation to remember why I'm running, I can hear all about eating fatty foods at McDonlads. It's like it's an inner battle with me and my belly and I'll be damned if I don't win.
I think I am going to have to look into that.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #36
TheSizzle36

Quote:
If you have a Nano, I'd highly recommend it. The first month I had it I ran almost 30 miles, which for somebody like Archea isn't impressive, but for somebody like me who also hates running, it's awesome. I should easily surpass the 30 miles this next month.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #37
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nike+ makes running a lot of fun. Totally worth it.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM   #38
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Anyway, my 10 year HS reunion in June has also been a motivator
Funny what we'll do for the sake of the reunion, huh? Mine was in 2005. I had two preschoolers at home, and I was determined to look good. I started to think it was kind of shallow of me, and then I realized I didn't care if it was shallow.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #39
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Funny what we'll do for the sake of the reunion, huh? Mine was in 2005. I had two preschoolers at home, and I was determined to look good. I started to think it was kind of shallow of me, and then I realized I didn't care if it was shallow.
Oh yeah, I am as shallow as they come. But I am at least honest about it so that has to count for something. I really don't think I have changed that much since HS. My face is a bit fatter and my waist is 2" wider since I graduated right now.

Really I only care to see who is gay now.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #40
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Really I only care to see who is gay now.
ooh! Also finding out who's completely bald and who's turned into something really lame like a car salesman or a librarian...
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote