cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rode 16 miles yesterday

only my 2nd ride of the season.

The portion of the ride that most people do intervals, a guy on a tri-bike passed me. I hung a few lengths behind him going about 23mph.

Given my lack of riding, that is pretty strong for me.

At the end of the road there, I threw up in my mouth a little. Shouldn't have eaten three enchiladas before the ride.

My lungs were ok (from basketball), but the muscle endurance and strength wasn't there.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
only my 2nd ride of the season.

The portion of the ride that most people do intervals, a guy on a tri-bike passed me. I hung a few lengths behind him going about 23mph.

Given my lack of riding, that is pretty strong for me.

At the end of the road there, I threw up in my mouth a little. Shouldn't have eaten three enchiladas before the ride.

My lungs were ok (from basketball), but the muscle endurance and strength wasn't there.
i've heard of doing intervals before... what are they?! my guess is you do different exercises for certain periods of time. for example, climb at a certaing cadence and speed for a predetermined amount of time... am i close?

maybe i should start playing basketball or run more because my lungs are shot pretty quickly it seems.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
i've heard of doing intervals before... what are they?! my guess is you do different exercises for certain periods of time. for example, climb at a certaing cadence and speed for a predetermined amount of time... am i close?

maybe i should start playing basketball or run more because my lungs are shot pretty quickly it seems.
Intervals are where you sprint for a certain amount of time, then recover for a certain amount of time.
basketball sucks and running will not give you the same type of workout that riding will. If you want to be fast on the bike, train on the bike. If you want to be overall fit, do some cross training.
Basketball is for the overweight losers in the EQ that only manage to put down the chips and remote for one night a week to embarrass themselves as they attempt to relive the "glory years" of high school.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

fitness in biking doesn't really equate to fitness in basketball and vice versa.

basketball is a lot of start and stop, full exertion then rest. Cycling is constant, at a lower level. Also in basketball, explosive running and jumping are key. Not so much in fitness-level cycling.

But your heart is your heart. So when your heart is strong, it will be better off in other areas. Hence I've only ridden twice in a year, but was able to do ok.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano View Post
Intervals are where you sprint for a certain amount of time, then recover for a certain amount of time.
basketball sucks and running will not give you the same type of workout that riding will. If you want to be fast on the bike, train on the bike. If you want to be overall fit, do some cross training.
Basketball is for the overweight losers in the EQ that only manage to put down the chips and remote for one night a week to embarrass themselves as they attempt to relive the "glory years" of high school.
okay... that's kind of what i thought. thanks! the bike is my first love and will always do that before doing really any other exercise, but i thought if i did other activities it would work different muscles and improve my overall fitness.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
fitness in biking doesn't really equate to fitness in basketball and vice versa.

basketball is a lot of start and stop, full exertion then rest. Cycling is constant, at a lower level. Also in basketball, explosive running and jumping are key. Not so much in fitness-level cycling.

But your heart is your heart. So when your heart is strong, it will be better off in other areas. Hence I've only ridden twice in a year, but was able to do ok.
i like playing basketball and i thought it might be a good compliment to cycling based on the fact it's exercise and i like to do it and it will work different muscles. if i'm going to do stuff to be fit, i might as well do stuff i enjoy!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 06-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If one likes to play basketball, play basketball, but I fail to see how it optimizes your physical fitness.

As you know better than I, you need cardiovascular, weightbearing exercise, muscle strengthening exercise and flexibility. While basketball can utilize a fit body to better performance, it seems basketball would be an inefficient means at achieving overall fitness.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

16 miles? you pussy.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Crits involve a lot of explosion.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
16 miles? you pussy.
consider your fat butt caved in your last bike, you can't talk.