cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My guess is that both forums will look virtually identical in a very short period of time.
Could be.

My problem is that I think any attempt to dictate what types of religious viewpoints are kosher in either forum will be arbitrary and unfair. Categorizing religious discussions into fully faith-based and academic-based groupings turns my stomach. Where do you draw the line? What the hell is wrong with both types of viewpoints in a single thread? I think both viewpoints are valid and worthwhile.

I could be wrong, but I think this is a bad idea.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Could be.

My problem is that I think any attempt to dictate what types of religious viewpoints are kosher in either forum will be arbitrary and unfair. Categorizing religious discussions into fully faith-based and academic-based groupings turns my stomach. Where do you draw the line? What the hell is wrong with both types of viewpoints in a single thread? I think both viewpoints are valid and worthwhile.

An important perspective. What happened though is both perspectives used the one perspective to beat down the other.

It will be interesting to watch.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
An important perspective. What happened though is both perspectives used the one perspective to beat down the other.

It will be interesting to watch.
Let me put it another way, the interaction between the faith-based and academic-based approaches is one of the main things I enjoy about CG. Why on earth would we want to separate that?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let me put it another way, the interaction between the faith-based and academic-based approaches is one of the main things I enjoy about CG. Why on earth would we want to separate that?
Okay, I see your point. I'm not certain how to moderate the concern where the civility is maintained.

So you want a third sector for death matches with Tex to continue?

Last edited by Archaea; 08-02-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Okay, I see your point. I'm not certain how to moderate the concern where the civility is maintained.
Well, this approach is akin to teaching your children to stop arguing by forcing them to live in separate homes. Gross overreaction.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

This is a dumb idea. If I had more time I'd throw in a reference from an ancient philospher to satisfy the requirements for the forum.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #27
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

To all you critics of this new forum, stop it! WHEN MIKE WATERS SPEAKS THE THINKING ENDS!!!!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #28
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Gotta agree with Lebowski. We now have a new forum and three pages of posts debating about whether a link to a DNA study is appropriate for inclusion.

This is a message board. It isn't relief society. Some people will say mean things, some things will be misinterpreted and taken out of context, some people will be insensitive, others will staunchly defend any and everything, and those who are interested will read and those who are not won't.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #29
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Could be.

You are not wrong. It is a bad idea. Whenever I see the term "academic approach" I cringe. Out of curiosity, how do we differentiate between the academic approach and the pretentious approach?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood the split as this:

1) personal experience
2) non-personal experience discussion
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote