cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #151
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

If the California Constitution has been amended 500 times I'd be interested in knowing how many times the "Bill of Rights" section has been amended, and to limit not expand liberty.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #152
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure that if I was against Prop 8, I wouldn't say "oh, this is not pushing Prop 8 so hard, so maybe I will do it."

Is this so much of a stretch you can't imagine me following through?
Nobody here is saying that, least of all me. I am trying to balance my personal feelings on the matter with being intellectually honest about the Church's efforts. I am not ready to completely malign the Church for everything it does on the matter, so i find SU's blood boiling to be a bit over the top, albeit somewhat attractive.

Your description of what happened in Texas seems pretty weak, frankly. All you did was cast a secret ballot. You likely didnt even let your Bishop know that you were in opposition. The Stake presidency did not call you directly and ask for money and ask if you were going to be participating. And since you acknowledge that there was little likelihood of passage, your vote wasnt even impactful. In other words, when push came to shove, you really did nothing of meaning.

Everything is easier in Texas, it seems.

Good luck standing up for the cause......20 yards behind the front lines. Now get out of the way because we have real work to do out here.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #153
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Nobody here is saying that, least of all me. I am trying to balance my personal feelings on the matter with being intellectually honest about the Church's efforts. I am not ready to completely malign the Church for everything it does on the matter, so i find SU's blood boiling to be a bit over the top, albeit somewhat attractive.

Your description of what happened in Texas seems pretty weak, frankly. All you did was cast a secret ballot. You likely didnt even let your Bishop know that you were in opposition. The Stake presidency did not call you directly and ask for money and ask if you were going to be participating. And since you acknowledge that there was little likelihood of passage, your vote wasnt even impactful. In other words, when push came to shove, you really did nothing of meaning.

Everything is easier in Texas, it seems.

Good luck standing up for the cause......20 yards behind the front lines. Now get out of the way because we have real work to do out here.
it's the church that had a weak effort in Texas, not me.

Seems like to get any street cred around here you have to join a pro-gay marriage political group.

I'm saying your vacillating has little to do with principle and a lot to do with convenience ("this isn't so tough").

I'll respect you more if you campaign in support of Prop 8 amongst your co-workers (even though I don't support Prop 8). But you wouldn't. no matter how strongly you believed in Prop 8.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #154
TripletDaddy

Quote:
it's the church that had a weak effort in Texas, not me.

Seems like to get any street cred around here you have to join a pro-gay marriage political group.

I'm saying your vacillating has little to do with principle and a lot to do with convenience ("this isn't so tough").

I'll respect you more if you campaign in support of Prop 8 amongst your co-workers (even though I don't support Prop 8). But you wouldn't. no matter how strongly you believed in Prop 8.
I guess I am confused at where I am vacillating. Are you lying again, like when you denied threatening to write a letter to my sister's employer? You have a bad habit of being dishonest that way.

You already respect me, so I am not looking for that.

Tell me what you found to be the most challenging.....going into a private voting booth to vote against the gay marriage amendment.....or not telling anyone in your ward how you were going to vote? Your story is a veritable Profile in Courage.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #155
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I guess I am confused at where I am vacillating. Are you lying again, like when you denied threatening to write a letter to my sister's employer? You have a bad habit of being dishonest that way.

You already respect me, so I am not looking for that.

Tell me what you found to be the most challenging.....going into a private voting booth to vote against the gay marriage amendment.....or not telling anyone in your ward how you were going to vote? Your story is a veritable Profile in Courage.
just because you are vacillating over whether public appearances is more important than doing what is right, don't take it out on me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #156
TripletDaddy

Quote:
just because you are vacillating over whether public appearances is more important than doing what is right, don't take it out on me.
I can always tell when you are struggling for material because you have a habit of repeating yourself (The Art of War, Chap 6...weakenesses and strengths). This is the second time you have referenced the vacillation. This repetition is similar to your recent infertility/sperm donor jokes that fell flat....same stuff over and over.

I want to play along with your game because it is monday morning and I dont feel like working, plus it has been a few weeks since I have beaten you down (oh, ewth8ter, you never defend me, but you defend him all the time! now I am going to delete the photo thread!), but you arent giving me much to work with.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #157
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If the California Constitution has been amended 500 times I'd be interested in knowing how many times the "Bill of Rights" section has been amended, and to limit not expand liberty.
You don't mean to tell me that you graduated from Georgetown Law without learning how to consult a law book, do you? Look it up on your own. That diploma ought to be good for something.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #158
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You don't mean to tell me that you graduated from Georgetown Law without learning how to consult a law book, do you? Look it up on your own. That diploma ought to be good for something.
I know the answer. It was a rhetorical question. The answer is 0 times.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #159
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I know the answer. It was a rhetorical question. The answer is 0 times.
So of the hundreds of times the California State constitution has been amended, it's never once trampled upon another's rights in favoring the rights of another? I'd love to see you argue THAT position.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #160
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I am impressed you guys are still going back and forth on this.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote