cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #11
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
The one thing that frustrates me is we should be a better team than last year on paper. We got the whole offense back. Seems like both Utah and TCU are better than us this year. Did those teams just get much better over the offseason than we did?
I think our offense is better than last year and the defense is drastically worse (although the stats tell a different story). Our linebackers were unreal last year. Kehl could cover a lot of ground in a hurry. Speed kills and BYU lacks it in a big way.

It's hard for me to feel too down. If anything, BYU has overachieved this year. We should be happy about that. We'll probably lose to Utah. Two losses will put us in third place and winnable bowl game (Utah's usual place). I'll take it.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Agreed. Our supposed 80% NFL draft O-line was flat out owned. Oswald had no answer for Hughes.
Hughes speed was amazing.

I was most impressed with that CB - Sanderson? 2 picks at the right time to kill scoring drives in the red zone.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Agreed. Our supposed 80% NFL draft O-line was flat out owned. Oswald had no answer for Hughes.
Even worse is Hall has very little pocket presence. And he's taking a 5 step drop in the shotgun. When you have someone as fast as Hughes on the end there is little angle for Oswald to use to block.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #14
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
well its not exactly byu bball 1997

las vegas bowl: byu vs ucla
That is what is most depressing of all. If BSU wins out, and TCU wins out, BYU isn't even going to the Vegas Bowl. They can look forward to a quality game in early December against Navy or some other awful program. That would be hard to stomach (and it should once again remind us all how lousy the MWC's bowl tie ins are).

BYU has a slight chance at the BCS. They have a decent chance at Vegas. If neither of those work out, this season will be awfully depressing, and a Vegas Bowl game is hardly inspiring. Maybe we get Oregon again. Or UCLA for the 12th time in 2 years.

Incidentally, I wonder why more college football fans don't feel this way about bowl games. When the end result can't possibly give you a chance at a title, the game just feels hollow, and the worse your opponent is, the more hollow the bowl feels. Why can't we have a playoff, where hope springs eternal.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Why can't we have a playoff, where hope springs eternal.
Because Brand and the rest of the NCAA pussies are too afraid of the BSC conference commissioners. The BCS folks don't want a playoff to take away from their little fake championship, but they know that the NCAA needs their football teams in order for the NCAA to make any money from tv revenue.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

That wasn't losing, that was an ass-kicking. BYU didn't stand a chance. TCU came ready to play, BYU didn't. End of story.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default How could Utah and TCU get better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
The one thing that frustrates me is we should be a better team than last year on paper. We got the whole offense back. Seems like both Utah and TCU are better than us this year. Did those teams just get much better over the offseason than we did?
when we consistently out recruit them and we have the best coaches around? It's inexplicable.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
exUte

Default Why didn't we come ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
That wasn't losing, that was an ass-kicking. BYU didn't stand a chance. TCU came ready to play, BYU didn't. End of story.
to play? That is the question.

I think it was because they were believing the hype. Hall = Heisman. BYU = possible NC. Bronco = best coach in the universe. Anae = best offensive coordinator in the nation.

Reminds me of Wall Street. Bubblicious.

Looking back, same thing happened with Crowton's team when Hale was threatening possible legal action against the BCS. Didn't matter. Hawaii kicked our butts. At least Crowton's bubble burst when he was 12-0. This year's bubblicious team burst half-way through the season.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
exUte

Default Whoa...........wait a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I think our offense is better than last year and the defense is drastically worse (although the stats tell a different story). Our linebackers were unreal last year. Kehl could cover a lot of ground in a hurry. Speed kills and BYU lacks it in a big way.

It's hard for me to feel too down. If anything, BYU has overachieved this year. We should be happy about that. We'll probably lose to Utah. Two losses will put us in third place and winnable bowl game (Utah's usual place). I'll take it.
Didn't Bronco say our defense would be as good, if not better, than last years?