cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Was Christ married

I would think that he had to be married. It is said that he set the example in all things and if marraige is an saving ordinance then Christ would have set forth the example.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I would hope so. Otherwise they would've kicked him out of the singles ward at 31.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan Brown says he was.. that's good enough for me
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

And moreover, was he a polygamist? Was He married to Mary Magdalene, and Mary and Martha, and the woman taken in adultery and dropped at His feet?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
I would think that he had to be married. It is said that he set the example in all things and if marraige is an saving ordinance then Christ would have set forth the example.
I'm always surprised that so many Mormons believe he was married. According to a press release by the church, it's certainly not doctrine. "The belief that Christ was married has never been official Church doctrine. It is neither sanctioned nor taught by the Church. While it is true that a few Church leaders in the mid-1800s expressed their opinions on the matter, it was not then, and is not now, Church doctrine."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=266159&nid=148

Sorry, I don't know how to do the link right.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

He wasn't married. DaVinci Code is crap.

He was perfect, right? You know any perfect husbands? Had he been married, his wife would have been ragging on him for something he wasn't doing right...
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
He wasn't married. DaVinci Code is crap.

He was perfect, right? You know any perfect husbands? Had he been married, his wife would have been ragging on him for something he wasn't doing right...
And his answer would simply be, "Well, I am Jesus."

Look, being married to Him would be a living hell. The woman could never win an argument, never complain, never justify unhappiness with her Husband. It would be the first time in history that a woman could say, "It's not you, it's me" and actually mean it.

And his answer would simply be, "Well, I am Jesus."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal
I'm always surprised that so many Mormons believe he was married. According to a press release by the church, it's certainly not doctrine. "The belief that Christ was married has never been official Church doctrine. It is neither sanctioned nor taught by the Church. While it is true that a few Church leaders in the mid-1800s expressed their opinions on the matter, it was not then, and is not now, Church doctrine."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=266159&nid=148

Sorry, I don't know how to do the link right.
Yes but you forgot the rest of the quote.

The belief that Christ was married has never been official Church doctrine. It is neither sanctioned nor taught by the Church. While it is true that a few Church leaders in the mid-1800s expressed their opinions on the matter, it was not then, and is not now, Church doctrine."

Andrew Skinner, Ph.D., BYU Dept. of Religion: "There is nothing in the canonical New Testament, there is nothing in restoration scripture, there is really even nothing in non-canonical sources that you can use as evidence that Jesus was married or he wasn't married. The sources are silent on that aspect."

Some leaders did express their personal opinions and read the second to last statement, "that Jesus was married or he wasn't married." The Church offers no opinion on either possibility. It is silent on both possibilities.

Well, he either was or wasn't, but we don't know.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Yes but you forgot the rest of the quote.

The belief that Christ was married has never been official Church doctrine. It is neither sanctioned nor taught by the Church. While it is true that a few Church leaders in the mid-1800s expressed their opinions on the matter, it was not then, and is not now, Church doctrine."

Andrew Skinner, Ph.D., BYU Dept. of Religion: "There is nothing in the canonical New Testament, there is nothing in restoration scripture, there is really even nothing in non-canonical sources that you can use as evidence that Jesus was married or he wasn't married. The sources are silent on that aspect."

Some leaders did express their personal opinions and read the second to last statement, "that Jesus was married or he wasn't married." The Church offers no opinion on either possibility. It is silent on both possibilities.

Well, he either was or wasn't, but we don't know.
I didn't quote the byu prof. because the church didn't quote him in their statement. But I agree with you and him -- the scriptures are silent on the issue and all is speculation.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote