cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is Love?

Love is continuting to love your husband, even though you don't understand why he continues to crack up every time he sees a guy get hit or whacked or kicked in the crotch in a movie. Why is that funny EVERY single time? WHY?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters
Love is continuting to love your husband, even though you don't understand why he continues to crack up every time he sees a guy get hit or whacked or kicked in the crotch in a movie. Why is that funny EVERY single time? WHY?
It's one of those things that can't be explained, because the humor is just there. You either get it or you don't.

It's like I can't understand why my wife watches Oprah. She's never been funny, so why watch her stupid show?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Now that is funny, my favorite joke ever is one i heard as a little kid: when you walk up to someone and ask them the capital of Thailand?

Of course they say Bangkok and he hit them in the nuts. That is classic and when im 80 i will be doing it to my great grandkids, and the guys at the senior center.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
VAX77

VAX77

I think the way many look at love comes stright from hollywood, that "catch and release" version that often celebrates ditching what you have for something more exciting and tantilizing....that is, until something more exciting, forbidden, etc, comes along. Look at Titanic or other classics such as American Gigolo :wink:

I think many married people here on this board would echo the fact that the "love" they felt when first married transforms dramtically over time. Looking back even over 4 short(long at times...jk) years, my love for my wife has grown many times over. It is easy to love early on, but when problems arise, true love is either discovered, or found to have never been there. I remember several of archea's posts talking about true comitment and love coming through if a spouse has issues, stops going to church, etc. I also recognize that in certain cases, divorce may be necessary. I do not look down on anyone who chooses that route, for I think, just like how many kids a couple should have or each of our personal lives, that is a choice that belongs to those involved.

That being said, remember your missions when you arrived wherever you were, you may have thought you loved the people, mainly because you felt you were supposed to say that. After two years or 1 1/2 years, you probably came away truly loving the people, much more than you professed as a greenie. The difference was probably a lot of prayer, service, concern, working through difficult times, in difficult circumstances, etc. I feel like the same applies to marriage. Love and happiness and worked for. I truly believe that. I think attraction, a gentle push by the spirit, acknowledegement of compatibilty, common interests, etc, and a little or a lot of lust are involved in our initial choice of spouse. Beyond that, it is a hell of a lot of work, but even more so than a mission, well worth it.

Hollywood would tell us that love should just be there, and once we feel like the "flame" is gone, there is no choice but to sleep with someone else whom you feel attracted to, lustful towards, compatible with, etc, see above....The problem is, there are literally thousands of people we could be married to, but when we pick one, true love and fulfillment only come by sticking to that one and working towards love and happiness....
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is love?
baby dont hurt me, dont hurt me, no more
what is love?
oh i dont know why you arent fair
i give you my love but you dont care
what is right?
what is wrong?
yeah baby give me a sign...

ive learned to day the real meaning to the lyrics of this song thanks to our friend and romantic expert arch....

love is letting a woman hurt you over and over and over and over all the while smiling and hoping that she will one day give you a sign and that that sign isnt the middle finger.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
what is love?
what is love?
oh i dont know why you arent fair
i give you my love but you dont care
what is right?
what is wrong?
yeah baby give me a sign...

ive learned to day the real meaning to the lyrics of this song thanks to our friend and romantic expert arch....

love is letting a woman hurt you over and over and over and over all the while smiling and hoping that she will one day give you a sign and that that sign isnt the middle finger.
I prefer Lou Reed's attitude towards women:

Vicious
You hit me with a flower
You do it every hour
Ohh, baby you’re so vicious

When I watch you come
I just want to run far away
You’re not the kind of person
Around whom I want to stay

Vicious
Hey, why don’t you swallow razor blades
You must think I’m some kinda gay blade
But baby, you’re so vicious
When I watch you comin’
I just have to run
You’re not good and you certainly aren’t very much fun
When I see you walkin’ down the street
I step on your hand and I mangle your feet
You’re not the kind of person that I even wanna meet
’cause you’re so vicious
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #17
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is the main reason why my 5 year old son and I watch Americas Funniest Home Videos on Sunday night. You're pretty much guaranteed to get a couple of good crotch shots. Our favorite skit is "Head, Gut or Crotch?"

Gotta start 'em when they're young.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:08 AM   #18
VAX77

VAX77

After reading all of Archea's posts on women betraying husbands in miserable marriages, maybe its destined to be like this:
A little Pearl Jam.....

Waitin’, watchin’ the clock, it’s four o’clock, it’s got to stop
Tell him, take no more, she practices her speech
As he opens the door, she rolls over...
Pretends to sleep as he looks her over
She lies and says she’s in love with him, can’t find a better man...
She dreams in color, she dreams in red, can’t find a better man...
Can’t find a better man (2x)
Ohh...

Talkin’ to herself, there’s no one else who needs to know...
She tells herself, oh...
Memories back when she was bold and strong
And waiting for the world to come along...
Swears she knew it, now she swears he’s gone
She lies and says she’s in love with him, can’t find a better man...
She lies and says she still loves him, can’t find a better man...
Can’t find a better man (2x)
Yeah...

She loved him, yeah...she don’t want to leave this way
She feeds him, yeah...that’s why she’ll be back again
Can’t find a better man (3x)
Can’t find a better...man...
Ohh...ohh...
Uh huh... (5x)
Ohh...
VAX77 is offline   Reply With Quote