cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is Love?

We live in a throw away world, if something is no longer convenient or pleasing or easy, we just toss it away.

I grew up in a very loving and strong family where I knew that my parents cared about me and would take care of me no matter what. I never really asked myself why they felt that way about me, I just knew it and accepted it.

My wife and I met seven years ago and have been married for five, our first child was born two years ago this march. I didn't know my parents loved me that much, I just couldn't understand how you could love this little thing that was so small.

I didn't know anything about my daughter, I didn't know if she was going to be pretty, I didn't know if she was smart. I don't know if she is going to be popular, or what trials she will have to live through. I just know that I want her to be happy and to succeed in life.

I want the same thing for my wife, I will do everything in my power to try to make her life as happy and enjoyable as possable. I want what is best for her because that is what makes me happy.

I have found that I can feel that way about anyone if i just stop and try to understand them a little.

So my question is, "what is love"?

is it something that you like about someone (mind looks money loyalty etc.) or is it something that transcends all of that. Do you have to do something to be loved? Can you do something to remove that love?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do the words from the Whitesnake song "'Is this Love" keep running through my mind?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My mom has stayed with my dad for going on 50 years now and oft times it's a mystery to my siblings and I.

That's love.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
Why do the words from the Whitesnake song "'Is this Love" keep running through my mind?
Is the image of Tawny Kitaen rolling around on a bed also going through your mind?
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death
My first thought was Howard Jones' song.

"What is looooooooooooooooooooooooove anyway?

Does anybody love anyone anyway?"

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I believe love is what you say: it transcends everything.

Love is giving of yourself without expecting anything in return.

I hear you when it comes to your child. All my kids did was be born, but that was more than enough for me to want to do what I can to give them all that they need, not all that they want.

As for my wife, I'd do anything for her. She completes me. I am nothing without her.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
We live in a throw away world, if something is no longer convenient or pleasing or easy, we just toss it away.

I grew up in a very loving and strong family where I knew that my parents cared about me and would take care of me no matter what. I never really asked myself why they felt that way about me, I just knew it and accepted it.

My wife and I met seven years ago and have been married for five, our first child was born two years ago this march. I didn't know my parents loved me that much, I just couldn't understand how you could love this little thing that was so small.

I didn't know anything about my daughter, I didn't know if she was going to be pretty, I didn't know if she was smart. I don't know if she is going to be popular, or what trials she will have to live through. I just know that I want her to be happy and to succeed in life.

I want the same thing for my wife, I will do everything in my power to try to make her life as happy and enjoyable as possable. I want what is best for her because that is what makes me happy.

I have found that I can feel that way about anyone if i just stop and try to understand them a little.

So my question is, "what is love"?

is it something that you like about someone (mind looks money loyalty etc.) or is it something that transcends all of that. Do you have to do something to be loved? Can you do something to remove that love?
[obligatory suck-up post when wife joins board]
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
How much did Alkili pay you to delete everything he posted before his wife signed up?
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:

Who is Mrs. Alkili?

FWIW, Mrs. Padrino - I suppose here she should be known as Sister Padrino, eh? - wouldn't sign up on any message board, especially one that, in her words, is a "collection of imbeciles like my husband with too much time on their hands."

I still haven't decided if it was meant as an insult. No matter, while I'm wasting my time online, she's busy cleaning up the mess the 3 year old made.

Who's the dumb one?

Old 01-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #10
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That reminds me. I'm still waiting on your suck-up post.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote