cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do women fit into the Adam-God theory?

I read the posts by Dan and was talking to my wife about it and I thought she brought up a good point about where she would fit in. Also what is Celestial marriage for in this theory.

Note: A lot of the ideas in it ring true to me, they answer a lot of questions i've had, but it also brings up many more.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure that when Dan makes it back over here he'll answer your questions.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Under the Adam-God concept ...

... (and I say that while rolling my eyes at myself for saying it - as AG has some different variations for different groups) women stand at the side of the man. BY stated that Adam fell and went to the garden and brought "wives" with him, not just Eve. Lilith is another alleged wife of Adam, and perhaps there are more, if true. Women are exalted with their husband. maybe it makes more sense now why women were allowed in the early days of the church to latch onto another husband who had greater priesthood than their current husband (i.e., since they are somewhat submissive to the husband, they at least have the option of latching onto a man headed towards exaltation rather than being anchored to a stick in the mud).

Presumably, the exalted women can elect to fall and enter an eden, just as Adam did with his alleged wives. but for the most of us who do not become exalted in this life, our sealing would probably not be bound by the holy spirit of promise (just a guess here) and though we can elect to associate with our un-sealed family members, were are going solo and have a chance to go through another eternal go around, bringing with us our prior cummulative learning making us more or less suceptible to the wisperings of the spirit in the next mortality.

I am just guessing though, as the AG concept is patriarchal in nature and therefore focuses more on men in the explanations given in the past.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Lilith-- now THERE'S an interesting story. Anti-child rearing, anti-motherhood, all that good stuff. She basically attempted to thwart Adam in his mission to multiply and replenish.

I half suspect that the Lilith story somehow connects with the popular theory that the original sin was actually a sex crime of sorts. It would be interesting to find out how this storyline came about.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see why this is now known as false doctrine. The more I read about it the more I find that Brigham Young had some problems trying to communicate this Idea. I find some truth and a lot of garbage, but things to think about none the less.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
SteelBlue

Who is Lilith????
Old 01-14-2006, 03:26 AM   #7
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lilith is ...

..., first of all, never mentioned in the AG speaches and writings. Lilith is sort of a mythical first wife of Adam who was basically evil. Do some web searching and you will quickly find info on her. Search for "Adam and Lilith" or something like that.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:29 AM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Lilith, according to Jewish legend, was created out of the dust at the same time as Adam and was his first wife. She thus claimed equality and went about being an annoying feminist, refusing to go back to Adam and trying to prevent the perpetuation of life on earth.

Here's a link to "The Straight Dope" on Lilith. (Yeah, not exactly a reputable source on theology, but it's easy to read.)

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mlilith.html
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:19 AM   #9
SteelBlue

Interesting! I've never heard any of that. So, do you think that the writers of Cheers named Frasier's wife Lilith after the she-demon?