cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Swearing can be a lot of fun. It isn't that a person can not think of other words that mean the same thing, it has nothing to do with a person's intelligence, and it has little to do with upbringing. Swearing is a harmless taboo. You get the kick from being 'bad' without really being BAD. And that makes it cathartic (as non sequitur points out) and fun. Still, I watch out who I swear around, because colorful language can hurt some people's feelings.

In my home I have taught my son all of the swear words and he is allowed to use them freely (he is six). Rather than teaching him that these words are bad, we emphasize that using them around others can hurt people's feelings. This way the emphasis is on personal character rather than taboo. We give him less material to rebel against when he is a teen, and kindness and generosity become the motivation for good behavior.

So far so good.
If nothing else, you at least avoid the wonderful moment of discovery when your Mom informs you in the most gentle manner possible that your new favorite word happens to be a swear word.

I can still taste the soap. Ugh.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I will admit that most of my swearing is confined to 3 areas: when I'm playing sports, when I'm driving, and when I'm having really good sex.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:56 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Take the word "asshole", for example. What other word conveys the same meaning and nuance as the word asshole? If you come up with something, let me know.
Amen to that.

When I was young I had the most buttoned-down, straight-laced Mormon mother you could imagine. This is a woman who would not let us use empty coke bottles for our home-brewed root beer since it would be the "appearance of evil". But whenever she would stub her toe or burn her hand, she would let loose like a drunken sailor. Always cracked us up.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #14
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
boor, bounder, clown, creep, cur, curl, dog, heel, knave, louse, lout, maggot, rake, rascal, rat, rogue, rotter, rounder, scoundrel, sleazeball, slimebucket, stinker, worm, jerk, pud
Let me see if that works:

My boss is a boor.
My boss is a bounder.
My boss is an asshole.

Nope. Doesn't work.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I will admit that most of my swearing is confined to 3 areas: when I'm playing sports, when I'm driving, and when I'm having really good sex.
I have a friend who does maritime litigation. His clients can be pretty rough. He says that generally, when he gets a new client, if he hasn't called the opposing party a co----s-cker within the first ten minutes of the initial consultation, he risks losing the client.

In certain contexts litigators should swear.

Sometimes I swear when watching sports.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #16
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
boor, bounder, clown, creep, cur, curl, dog, heel, knave, louse, lout, maggot, rake, rascal, rat, rogue, rotter, rounder, scoundrel, sleazeball, slimebucket, stinker, worm, jerk, pud
Let me see if that works:

My boss is a boor.
My boss is a bounder.
My boss is an asshole.

Nope. Doesn't work.
What exactly are you trying to say about your boss? once again I'm not sure I understand what the word asshole means? It seems like you almost give it an arbitrary meaning.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

RObin: How many children do you have? How old?
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #19
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I believe in being kind and generous and loving to all life. That is the core of my morality. I teach my son that swearing itself is not a bad thing to do, however because the language can hurt some sensitive people, he should be careful how he uses it. The point is to emphasize personal character, personal choice, and WHY we should choose our words carefully. Taboo has an unhealthy attraction. Eliminate the taboo, and you eliminate the perverse.
so do you just randomly choose your morals, or do you have something to base them on? Are they just a feeling deep down that what your doing is right with no real meaning? I hope I’m not sounding rude or condescending, I just don’t understand you very well.

You use the word taboo, but what do you base it on? why don't you think that hurting someone emotionally or physically isn't just taboo. I know you think homosexuality is taboo, what is your map key?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #20
non sequitur

Quote:
Taboo has an unhealthy attraction. Eliminate the taboo, and you eliminate the perverse.
I feel the same way about taboo. Some people refrain from torturing animals because they've been brainwashed from the time they were kids that torturing animals is somehow perverse and should never be considered. I say if we just eliminate the notion that it is taboo, it won't seem nearly so perverse. Just the other day my child asked if we could play with the kitten, and I said, "Sure, I'll get the pliers." :wink: