cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #31
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #32
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Well, I think you just proved his point. That list of words reminded me of an episode of Spin City several years back when one character used the word "poppycock" and his buddy said "that means nonsense when translated from the gay."

I also can't really agree with you that the attraction of this board to anybody has been swearing. There has been very little of it that I've noted.
You just proved Archaea's point that people swear because they are too lazy to look up the definition of "boor". I would think someone would be more offended by being called a rake then an asshole, because asshole lets you know that they didn't bother to think about their insult.

Also you couldn't have this discussion very easily on cougar board and I think that is why many people are here.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin

Outside of a sensible and sensitive approach to sex, I have no problem with having a sexually active child.
At first I thought this said "I have no problem putting a naked picture of my 6 year old son on the internet" and then I realized that it didn't.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #34
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

At first I thought this said "I have no problem putting a naked picture of my 6 year old son on the internet" and then I realized that it didn't.
Why do I have the feeling that this thread is going to get interesting in a hurry?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #35
Alkili

Quote:

I object to the term 'arbitrary.' However you are spot-on that there is no higher authority. I do not choose to be 'good' because God said so (taboo). I choose to be good because it is a very reasonable thing to choose, and because goodness is universally sustainable (it is the only way of being where EVERYONE could live that way), and because my experience has shown that being good makes me happy. My goodness and desires are grounded to this terrestrial sphere.
What makes everyone living together desirable, if what is important is each persons own happiness? I think its good to be kind to those who could further my own ambition, but I could careless whether or not you're happy. In fact I think that there is nothing wrong with throwing you under the bus in order to make myself a few bucks.

Truth is what I make it to be, If I think I'm better then you then I am. If i'm better then you then I might as well use you as best I can to further my own goals.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #36
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
You just proved Archaea's point that people swear because they are too lazy to look up the definition of "boor". I would think someone would be more offended by being called a rake then an asshole, because asshole lets you know that they didn't bother to think about their insult.

Also you couldn't have this discussion very easily on cougar board and I think that is why many people are here.
You just don't get it. Calling someone an asshole, or a prick, or a shit-for-brains is appropriate because it is offensive. Calling someone a rake is not offensive. When you are insulting someone, you are trying to offend, so using an offensive word can be very effective. I think you're getting too caught up in the definition of the word, rather than the emotion that the word conveys.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #37
SteelBlue

Quote:
Right, nobody here knows the definitions of your words :roll: . Look, I happen to agree with Archaea, but trust me, you are not going to find people who get more offended by being called a rake than an a-hole. And it isn't because they don't know the definitions of your words. Anyone who uses the word rogue or bounder as a genuine insult should probably receive a beating just on general principle.

Quote:
We're here because we like good discussion. I don't happen to think that there has been much swearing here. I think most people are here because the discussion here is better than the discussion on cougarboard.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #38
Alkili

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Right, nobody here knows the definitions of your words :roll: . Look, I happen to agree with Archaea, but trust me, you are not going to find people who get more offended by being called a rake than an a-hole. And it isn't because they don't know the definitions of your words. Anyone who uses the word rogue or bounder as a genuine insult should probably receive a beating just on general principle.

We're here because we like good discussion. I don't happen to think that there has been much swearing here. I think most people are here because the discussion here is better than the discussion on cougarboard.
I guess I don't understand your general principle, it seems to me that calling everyone an asshole would get boring and repetitive. I guess I would rather express myself more exactly then a one word fits all type of solution.

Why do you supose it is good discussion? I would think its because we don't have to fear how we are expressing ourselves.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #39
SteelBlue

Quote:
I guess I don't understand your general principle, it seems to me that calling everyone an asshole would get boring and repetitive. I guess I would rather express myself more exactly then a one word fits all type of solution.
Why do you supose it is good discussion? I would think its because we don't have to fear how we are expressing ourselves.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. But weren't you the one who said that you usually use jerk as a one word fits all description? I don't personally swear a whole lot. I don't think that anybody on this site swears much.

As far as why the discussion is good, it's because the quality of posters is good. I don't think there is a fear of expression on the other site. There is simply a suppression of many good discussions there by moderators. It usually has absolutely nothing to do with language.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #40
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
As to the swearing issue, while your humanist rationale is fine, I am not sure I understand the need to teach him the swear words first. When he hits puberty how are you going to teach him about prudent sexual practices while eliminating the 'taboo?'
Regarding sex: simple. Sensitivity and self preservation. I will teach him to never have sex with a girl or boy unless he is sure of all of the following:

1. The other person has a genuine understanding of what the sex act means for all people involved (sensitivity and kindness).

2. As long as the other person lives at home, he is absolutely sure he can kick the crap out of the father, the mother, any brothers/sisters, and any combination of those people (self preservation).

3. He will be aware of safe sex practices. He will have definitely put a condom onto a banana before he hits puberty (self preservation).

Outside of a sensible and sensitive approach to sex, I have no problem with having a sexually active child.
Methinks that you may not have consulted with your wife on this one yet.

If I recall correctly, she is an active member of the LDS church, and as such may not share some of your same "philosophies" on childrearing.

Or does that not matter to you? Whats right for you is right for your son?

I agree with what has been said about teaching a child the principle behind the practice, but where is the principle behind this statement? Makes no sense to me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote