cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #31
BYUruss

BYUruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You are just kidding yourself here. There is a wealth of information written about the relationships by faithful members of the church, most significantly by the multiple wives themselves. One of which was my ancestor (Caroline Partridge). She and others gave plenty of detail.
Hey now, no need to go kicking around the sand in which Indy's head is firmly buried.
BYUruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #32
BYUruss

BYUruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUruss View Post
Hey now, no need to go kicking around the sand in which Indy's head is firmly buried.
Or perhaps that's him in his avatar?
BYUruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 AM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
One of your children will eventually leave the church, at least for a time, because they feel lied to by you and the church over church history.

That is my prophecy.
I'm glad you have the priesthood keys to be receiving revelation for me. How's the weather in Hildale?

It's the Adam-God Complex.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 11-08-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #34
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
The history is clear in this case--SC just about started the civil war at the time JS gave this revelation. It was averted by Clay and Calhoon, but only for another 20 or so years.

It would be like me saying today that America will have a war with Iran starting with an Israeli bombing of a nuclear plant. Maybe a Democrat is elected to the White House next year and we avoid the war for now, but in 20 years or so we then have a war with Iran that starts with a bombing of a nuclear plant by Israel. See I'm a prophet.

BTW, I believe that JS was a prophet. I just am not impressed with this prophesy particularly.
So the prediction about SC turned out to be right-- a plausible coincidence, I suppose, though he should get at least a little credit for the fact that he turned out to be right. But even then, why wouldn't he have predicted that it would have been a war between the eastern and western states, given that the fight was especially between Jackson and Calhoun? Or that it would be over the tariff issue, instead of slavery?

Even if these would have been easy guesses (and I don't know how easy such guesses would have been for those not benefited by over a hundred years of hindsight, but I won't labor this point for the sake of the argument), isn't it just a little bit remarkable that they all happened?

A team that wins 12 games in which they had a 80% chance of winning ought to be ranked in the top 10. Joseph Smith should at least be ranked if you insist on keeping him out of the BCS.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:16 AM   #35
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm glad you have the priesthood keys to be receiving revelation for me. How's the weather in Hildale?

It's the Adam-God Complex.
Not the Adam-God theory again . . . .
Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #36
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It would be like me saying today that America will have a war with Iran starting with an Israeli bombing of a nuclear plant. Maybe a Democrat is elected to the White House next year and we avoid the war for now, but in 20 years or so we then have a war with Iran that starts with a bombing of a nuclear plant by Israel. See I'm a prophet.
Quote:
One of your children will eventually leave the church, at least for a time, because they feel lied to by you and the church over church history.
Yeah, and New York City will be underwater in nine more years because Greenland will melt.

Your contributions are only further evidence of how difficult the prophecy game really is. At least the gloom and doom global warming prophets have some science to back them up.

U.S foreign policy is geared to preventing the U.S. being drawn into any conflict due to some agressive action by Israel (when Israel acts, we do not follow; there are too many interests at stake). There simply is not a realistic scenario out there that would bring about the actions you prophesy.

Try again Mr. McLellan.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote