cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 04:47 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The current direction of BYU Provo

discourages me.

I long for the days of Oaks or Lee. I know eventually this too must pass, but the days of academic retrenchment are horrifying, as BYU treads water, becoming nothing more than a glorified seminary.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
discourages me.

I long for the days of Oaks or Lee. I know eventually this too must pass, but the days of academic retrenchment are horrifying, as BYU treads water, becoming nothing more than a glorified seminary.
Agreed. There's a lot more emphasis on living the honor code than on learning.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Well said, and I can't improve on these posts, and I doubt anyone else could. Mike, lock up the thread.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
discourages me.

Interesting. Are there any specific recent events to which you are refering?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

We should start our own quasi LDS university/college. Like the one in Virginia (?). Not because BYU is terrible, but because it would be fun. I wonder how the hierarchy has handled the Virginia thing. I mean, are they working behind the scenes? Would they put pressure on the trustees to do things in certain ways?

On second thought, what a mess. You couldn't pay me enough to do it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
I'm an outsider. But for starters I can tell you, from an outsider's perspective, that while Oaks and Lee were world class academics and administrators, with world class resumes, since Lee seemingly this has not been a criterion for BYU's president. Seemingly ideological purity has been the key. The fact that Michael Young is Utah's and not BYU's president says it all. He should have been Lee's heir apparent; that was the trajectory of his career. Ultimately, I doubt it ever was a possibility, by mutual desire. This philosophical divide at BYU has been well known, of course. The Taliban has seized control of the place. BYU has a lot of very bright and consciencious professors for whom I feel sorry.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
I'm ruminating while discussing matters with professors, seeing no vision from Samuelson, remembering my discussions with Rex Lee, and reviewing the rankings of BYU departments. BYU Provo deserves better.

I feel better right now about BYU Idaho with Kim Clark than I do about BYU Provo. The attitude conveyed to me by the few profs known to me is that living the Honor Code is more important than academic scholarship. Geeze, for the most part, the HC should be an afterthought that nobody speaks about, with focus being on academic development and research.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that there is too much emphasis on the Honor Code. I got my undergrad at the Business School, and felt like it was a different environment from the rest of the campus, for what its worth. I was pleased with my experience in the Business School.

I'm not sold on Samuelson either. It almost seems like he didnt really want the job.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
I agree that there is too much emphasis on the Honor Code. I got my undergrad at the Business School, and felt like it was a different environment from the rest of the campus, for what its worth. I was pleased with my experience in the Business School.

I'm not sold on Samuelson either. It almost seems like he didnt really want the job.
the job shouldn't be a calling. it should be a job. I agree, I haven't noticed any particular enthusiasm from Samuelson. He's dutifully serving his time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Samuelson is triage from the absolute wreckage that was Bateman. I'd say more, but I'm on the market this year...

Send me a message and we can back channel.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote