cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road
Default "Root-te-toot, Root-te-toot, we are the boys of the institute"

Behold, the profound benefits of continuing revelation.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/206891/

Quote:

Packer: Turn off TV, tone down the hair
KATE MCNEIL - Daily Herald

For rent: one room in the great and spacious building. Must "tease hair incessantly" and watch TV. Slovenly dress and behavior preferred.

President Boyd K. Packer told Brigham Young University students on Tuesday that today's entertainment can catapult faithful members into the building: "Largely because of TV we are not looking over at the great and spacious building, we are living inside of it."

During his 30-minute speech, Packer exhorted students to dress modestly and look like Latter-day Saints. If not, they might as well be in that "great and spacious building" mentioned in the Book of Mormon.

Packer also sang to the students a song from his days at the institute of religion at Weber State: "Root-te-toot, Root-te-toot, we are the boys of the institute, we don't smoke and we don't chew, and we don't go with girls that do."

"You will be safe if you look like, act like and groom like a Latter-day Saint," Packer said.

Packer, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, focused his comments on the story of Lehi's dream, a passage in the Book of Mormon.

"Lehi's dream of the iron rod has in it everything a young Latter-day saint needs to understand the test of life," Packer said.

In the dream, Lehi sees people holding to an iron rod, attempting to walk to a tree of life, symbolizing the love of God. A "great and spacious building" deters those on the rod, and symbolizes a worldly lifestyle.

"You are in it, all of us are in it," he said of the dream. "Read it carefully, then read it again.

"You're better than we were," Packer admitted, adding that the audience's children would be even stronger morally. But when it comes to dress and grooming, Packer suggested today's generation is falling short.

"Sometimes (holding to the rod) is so simple a thing as how you groom yourself," he said, later mentioning "girls who incessantly tease their hair so as to look like it hasn't been combed" as an example of poor grooming.

Packer compared his post-World War II college days at Weber State with these moral wars of today.

"You too live in a time of war, a spiritual war that will never end," he said.

To combat this war, Packer told students to "never be ashamed or embarrassed about the doctrines of the gospel."

Packer encouraged students to read the scriptures and pray always.

"The Book of Mormon has always been my iron rod," he said.

Kate McNeil can be reached at 344-2549 or kmcneil@heraldextra.com.
This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page A1.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So is this "discussing" or "mocking"?

I ask that you discuss and not just mock. What do you expect us to say? "Your mocking has been duly noted"??

"Ask" is not the correct verb. I am going to go with "exhort". And then I am going to tie that to consequences. We are big believers in works and justice on this site.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post

You're going downhill fast dude. I thought you had more substance behind you, but with your weak tactics, you should probably find a different forum. You're going to end up getting crucified here and more bitter.

Is there a Mormon teen chatroom somewhere? You could be the Anti-Mormon pedo preying on young minds.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Behold, we give you the Jeffrey Dahmer of Provo, Aaron Shaf.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You're going downhill fast dude. I thought you had more substance behind you, but with your weak tactics, you should probably find a different forum. You're going to end up getting crucified here and more bitter.

Is there a Mormon teen chatroom somewhere? You could be the Anti-Mormon pedo preying on young minds.
Aaron,

Jay Santos may have been your only ally and it looks like you just pissed him off. I stand by my earlier comments of you being a douche bag and jackass.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

aaron:

You are a guest in someone else's house. What do you do to assholes in your house?

What is your purpose in coming here?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang, Aaron. It would seem that you and Packer have quite a bit in common. Neither one of you like to have any fun. How could you not accept the truth as spoken by Packer?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Packer's talk is full of content for discussion. Compare it with the reputation of Jesus:

Quote:
"Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone's opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances." - Matthew 22:16
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #9
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

lol.. who the hell is this aaron guy? I've been missing out..
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...and you do not care about anyone's opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances.
Obviously, Elder Packer is not too concerned about opinions and appearances either. What's your point?