cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How True do you think the Book of Mormon is?
Every word of it is true. 8 22.86%
It's mostly true, but with a couple of errors. 11 31.43%
The events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias. 6 17.14%
The text could very roughly correlate to a plausible series of events. 3 8.57%
Some Joe pulled the thing out of his hat. It's false. 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Not enough variation in the poll answers.

Mostly true, I dunno what that is supposed to mean.

"Extreme" bias. Nothing in between.

I am reminded how Church members will refer to an event, in religious, good versus evil terms when contrasted with how nonChurch members perceived events and there can be a vast difference in the accounts, even if both are well-meaning.

Assume for arguments sake as most believe, Nephite society existed.

Would a "Lamanite" describe himself in the terms as the Nephite records?

Do Iranian records record world events in the same manner as CNN? Well, okay bad example, but as Fox News?
Old 04-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not enough variation in the poll answers.

Mostly true, I dunno what that is supposed to mean.

"Extreme" bias. Nothing in between.

I am reminded how Church members will refer to an event, in religious, good versus evil terms when contrasted with how nonChurch members perceived events and there can be a vast difference in the accounts, even if both are well-meaning.

Assume for arguments sake as most believe, Nephite society existed.

Would a "Lamanite" describe himself in the terms as the Nephite records?

Do Iranian records record world events in the same manner as CNN? Well, okay bad example, but as Fox News?
Won't argue, but if we had more than 5, it would have been rather cumbersome. I'm not trying to get an exact representation of every person's specific position on the Book of Mormon-- just a feel for what the rest of the board thinks.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is the goofiest "poll" I've ever seen. What does "true" mean here? True in a metaphysical/allegorical sense, like a parable? True in the sense that the stories really happened once upon a time in a place far away? If the latter, how in the sam hill could anyone know, since there's not a scintilla of evidence there were such thing as Nephites, etc.? I mean, at least with the Old Testament we know there were Egyptians, and can trace what befell the Hebrews/Jews as a people up to today (excluding the "Lost Tribes"). Okay, some of you may have a "testimony," the poll is still silly because it suggests there's some empirical basis, e.g., "the events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias." Does one get a "spiritual witness" of this nature? Somebody's not thinking too clearly here. LOL.
I have always wondered exactly what is meant by the statement "I know the church is true". I take it mean "I believe it's teachings", but who knows if that is what's the intent is. When my Bishop stopped by my house and asked me if I believed the church is true, I told him I didn't understand what he was asking. He couldn't explain what he meant either.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Then mark the last option and move along, instead of being an asswipe.
That's pretty damn funny!
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Then mark the last option and move along, instead of being an asswipe.

I'm simply trying to find out how many people on this board think that the the names and characters spoken of in the Book of Mormon correspond to actual historical figures. As ridiculous as you believe such a prospect may be, at least two thirds of the people that responded to the question feel otherwise.
Being an asswipe is his calling on here. He feels if he doesn't garner that reaction from people that he's not doing his job on here of being the complete piece of shit that he is.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
the basic historical outline is true, the more detailed historical items' veracity (eg. number of dead at Cumorah) are unknown.
How can Indy possibly know this? Indy, how do you know it's a "basic historical outline" of something? What's your reference? What "evidence" do you have outside of the very document you want to prove true? And you can't even show me a source for that document that existed before the late 1820's (apart from the large swaths of text cribbed from the KJV). There's no evidence of Hebrews or Jews in the Americas before Jewish imigrants came to America. You made "basic historical outline" up; pulled it out of your ass. If you tell me you got some supernatural "witness" it's true I won't argue with you. Tell me it's a "basic historical outline" of something and I laugh at you for your windbaggery. Give me one piece of evidence it's a "basic historical outline" of anything. Give me a single one. I know there were Egyptians and Hebrews, pyramids built by slaves, a Jewish temple in Jerusalem. How do I know a fact stated in the Book of Mormon to be true. A single one?

Go ahead and call me Korihor. But you're the one who made the outlandish, made up and wholly unsupported claim that it's a "basic hisorical outline" of something (what?).

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:06 AM   #17
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought these maps were interesting.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bomcities.jpg (91.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg bomnames.jpg (38.5 KB, 28 views)
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How can Indy possibly know this? Indy, how do you know it's a "basic historical outline" of something? What's your reference? What "evidence" do you have outside of the very document you want to prove true? And you can't even show me a source for that document that existed before the late 1820's (apart from the large swaths of text cribbed from the KJV). There's no evidence of Hebrews or Jews in the Americas before Jewish imigrants came to America. You made "basic historical outline" up; pulled it out of your ass. If you tell me you got some supernatural "witness" it's true I won't argue with you. Tell me it's a "basic historical outline" of something and I laugh at you for your windbaggery. Give me one piece of evidence it's a "basic historical outline" of anything. Give me a single one. I know there were Egyptians and Hebrews, pyramids built by slaves, a Jewish temple in Jerusalem. How do I know a fact stated in the Book of Mormon to be true. A single one?

Go ahead and call me Korihor. But you're the one who made the outlandish, made up and wholly unsupported claim that it's a "basic hisorical outline" of something (what?).
Because you are a "seeing is believing" kind of guy, it's expected that you have the belief you do about the Book of Mormon.

Then again, perhaps you have the faith that it's a load of crap, as you have no proof that the "historical outline" doesn't exist.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
I thought these maps were interesting.....
What are you saying fus?

I think I need to change me vote.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #20
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:

Yet, as outlandish, made up, and wholly unsupported as the claim is, millions of people buy it, and among those millions, the majority of those who post here. Clearly, there's something that made them believe there is some truth to the book-- and remember, inertia is not a valid excuse in all cases, as many (including some of the present company) made great sacrifices in order to align themselves with the church, prompted by this "outlandish, made up, and wholly unsupported claim."

If you say that there is no sensible reason for anybody to believe as you do regarding the book of Mormon, I see only two reasons why. Either none of those who believe in the Book of Mormon are capable of reasonable thought and are wholly unable to discern truth from error (and I would love to see you crucify yourself on that gold cross), or there may be something you're not considering which others accept as valid and valuable evidence.

If the second scenario is true, why on Earth should we waste the time giving you our reasons for believing the Book of Mormon? You are acquainted with Mormonism; you know why we believe it is true. You've rejected those reasons as insufficient, as is your perogative. Why, then, do you insist that we try to prove it to you and win you back?

The fact that you consider yourself an enlightened thinker and nevertheless cannot understand how others can think differently than you do is a bitter irony, to say the least.