cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wow, you are a moron.

1. publicly advocate for their fair treatment.

This is why you will never do anything important in your life. Because you don't have any guts. You are a paper bully.

I can come up with idea after idea. But you can't. You can't think of a single one? Why? Because you don't have the CAPABILITY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS.

You are a simple formula number cruncher. Someone that pushes the buttons on the calculator.
Mike, settle down. You aren't coming off looking too bright in this discussion yourself.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Mike, settle down. You aren't coming off looking too bright in this discussion yourself.
the usual mullahs settle in. sparrows and starlings in the purple martin house.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
wow, you are a moron.

1. publicly advocate for their fair treatment.

This is why you will never do anything important in your life. Because you don't have any guts. You are a paper bully.

I can come up with idea after idea. But you can't. You can't think of a single one? Why? Because you don't have the CAPABILITY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS.

You are a simple formula number cruncher. Someone that pushes the buttons on the calculator.
Publicly advocate for their fair treatment? That's PR grandstanding, and of no practical value whatsoever.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Publicly advocate for their fair treatment? That's PR grandstanding, and of no practical value whatsoever.
Name one public group that has stood up and advocated for fair treatment.

Name one.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
BYU71

Quote:

Name one.
Since you are so familiar with the situation and know facts none of the rest of us know, what is the fair treatment you are advocating.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #26
BYU71

Quote:
the usual mullahs settle in. sparrows and starlings in the purple martin house.
Blowing smoke out your butt doesn't affect me. You should know that by now. If you really have something to say, say it. Otherwise I will just chalk this up to another one of your mindless rants and move to another thread.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

They could make a request to members in Texas to sign up for foster care. And ask the state to preferentially place the children with LDS families.

They could release a statement saying "We never condone abuse. We believe abuse to be abhorrent and those who are guilty should be punished. But the mass action by the state hearkens back to time in our own history when prejudice led to persecution, suffering and death among our own people. We request that the state act judiciously, as we are concerned there has been a rush to judgment. We are especially concerned about infants and very young children that have been removed from their families, where no allegation of abuse has been made by the state. The family is the fundamental unit of human beings. In an era where families are disintegrating, we ask that families hold primacy, where the law has been obeyed. The actions of the few should not lead to condemnation of the whole."
Old 04-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
BYU71

Quote:
They could make a request to members in Texas to sign up for foster care. And ask the state to preferentially place the children with LDS families.

They could release a statement saying "We never condone abuse. We believe abuse to be abhorrent and those who are guilty should be punished. But the mass action by the state hearkens back to time in our own history when prejudice led to persecution, suffering and death among our own people. We request that the state act judiciously, as we are concerned there has been a rush to judgment. We are especially concerned about infants and very young children that have been removed from their families, where no allegation of abuse has been made by the state. The family is the fundamental unit of human beings. In an era where families are disintegrating, we ask that families hold primacy, where the law has been obeyed. The actions of the few should not lead to condemnation of the whole."
I congratulate you for saying what you would do. I respectfully disagree. The Church in this matter doesn't have enough credibility to make the statement you propose. Not only would it have no positive effect on those in charge, it would open the church up as a target for attack. I think they ought to stand up and be willing to be attacked if there is some good that can come of it. In this case, I don't see it. As a matter of fact if the church stuck there nose into something they don't know the details on, I would be critical of the church for sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I congratulate you for saying what you would do. I respectfully disagree. The Church in this matter doesn't have enough credibility to make the statement you propose. Not only would it have no positive effect on those in charge, it would open the church up as a target for attack. I think they ought to stand up and be willing to be attacked if there is some good that can come of it. In this case, I don't see it. As a matter of fact if the church stuck there nose into something they don't know the details on, I would be critical of the church for sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.
well there are a lot of things I think a moral organization should stand up for. Like the Catholic church does. But the LDS church does not. Except for being anti-gay marriage. That's the only cause in recent years in the entire world that the church has seen fit to weigh in on, that I can tell.

Does the church fight against abortion? No. Do they fight for a culture of life? No. Do they weigh in on human rights abuses and genocide? Not that I can tell. Do they argue for freedom, liberty, and democracy? Maybe something like that gets brief mention in a talk every two years, but I don't remember them. No mass action.

The church is very circumspect in the causes it takes on. Remember, it would not even oppose Nazi Germany from what I can tell. It unofficially sided with the South in the Civil War. It, in effect, argued against the civil rights movement.

I have a lot of ideas about what is moral. I don't know if I am right or not. But I have come to believe that most people, including people in the church, don't know how to morally reason, and don't care. Life is a rule book.

Well, life was a rule book in Nazi Germany as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Name one.
The American Bar Association has arranged for legal representation of the children.