cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pig roast

I'm attempting to roast a pig for the first time.

I'm going to use an above-the-ground oven/grill made out of cinder blocks. Pig butterflied over a grill made of rebar and bailing wire. Aluminum foil over the pig, and on the inside of the grill to retain heat. Charcoal providing indirect-ish heat.

I've ordered a remote digital meat thermometer. Have ordered a 50lb pig. Starting small. One, I didn't exactly feel like spending $250 on just the pig. After all, it's going to be expensive enough, and this is for a church party, and the budget for this is directly out of my pocket.

Just the material for this "oven" is going to be near $140 or so. Which isn't too bad, given that most other cooking solutions for roasting a whole pig are much more expensive. Someday I would like to rotisserie a pig, but that's a whole different thing.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote