cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #71
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yup, just like that treasured doctrine that black people were cursed for not being valiant in the premortal existence.

All hogwash.

But still quite popular.
None of the quotes he posted are saying the same thing he is.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #72
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose you may read anything into my statements that you please, and alter what you feel they mean, as long as it makes you feel better about your position. And let's revisit that position: on this thread, where you're arguing that both good and bad will come from the new church policy change, you've taken offense at the idea that both good and bad came from a previous church policy change.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #73
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

To clarify my position for anyone who may be confused. I agree with all of the following:

J. Reuben Clark, Jr.:
"Unless we enjoy the Spirit of God we cannot understand the things of God; in fact, the things of God will appear foolish to us."

Boyd K. Packer:
"There are three areas where members of the Church, influenced by social and political unrest, are being caught up and led away. ...The dangers I speak of come from the gay-lesbian movement, the feminist movement, ...and the ever-present challenge from the so-called scholars or intellectuals."

Lynn G. Robbins:
"Lowering the Lord's standards to the level of a society's inappropriate behavior is apostasy. The scornful often accuse prophets of not living in the 21st century or of being bigoted. They attempt to persuade or even pressure the Church into lowering God's standards to the level of their own inappropriate behavior, which in the words of Elder Neal A. Maxwell, will 'develop self-contentment instead of seeking self-improvement and repentance'."

Joseph Smith:
"Men who...have no desire for the principles of truth, do not understand the word of truth when they hear it. The devil taketh away the word of truth out of their hearts."

Harold B. Lee:
"There are those among us who would set themselves up as critics of the Church, saying that the Church has gone out of the way. ...We should warn these, as well as those who are in danger of being led astray, of what the Prophet predicted. He said, 'That man who rises up to condemn others, finding fault with the Church, saying they are out of the way, while he himself is righteous, then know assuredly that that man is on the way to apostasy, and if he does not repent, he will apostatize, as God lives'."

Ezra Taft Benson:
"Suppose a leader of the Church were to tell you that you were supporting the wrong side of a particular issue. Some might immediately resist this leader and his counsel or ignore it, but I would suggest that you first apply the fourth great civic standard for the faithful Saints. That standard is to live for, to get, and then to follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit."

Neal A. Maxwell:
"Studying the Church through the eyes of its detractors is like interviewing Judas to understand Jesus."

Neal A. Maxwell:
"Satan need not get everyone to be like Cain or Judas, he needs only to get able men to see themselves as sophisticated neutrals."

M. Russell Ballard:
"Those who live according to Heavenly Father’s eternal plan will not want to absorb any information that is illicit or untoward, nor will they destroy their spiritual sensitivity through immoral acts or the consumption of any harmful substances. Neither will they search for doctrinal loopholes to find reasons to challenge the ordained leadership of the Church nor tamper with the simple truths of the gospel. They will not attempt to justify any lifestyle that is contrary to the plan of happiness."

Thomas S. Monson:
"Every day is a day of decision, and our decisions determine our destiny."
Old 11-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #74
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://bycommonconsent.com/2015/11/1...me/#more-60474
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:42 PM   #75
MikeWaters
Demiurge

By the way, I told my wife about this thread and she was shocked. Shocked that there was someone besides me posting on CG.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #76
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I suppose you may read anything into my statements that you please, and alter what you feel they mean, as long as it makes you feel better about your position. And let's revisit that position: on this thread, where you're arguing that both good and bad will come from the new church policy change, you've taken offense at the idea that both good and bad came from a previous church policy change.
Your arguments don't make sense.

We interpret what you're posting is that you find nothing wrong with the policy change and that it is necessarily inspired. We further interpret that you find yourself righteous and those who feel any differently to be unrighteous and out of tune with the Spirit.

That is how you come across, and it puts off the reader.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #77
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
By the way, I told my wife about this thread and she was shocked. Shocked that there was someone besides me posting on CG.
Well, she didn't miss the mark by much.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #78
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Honestly, when I realize that the reader is also put off by members of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Apostles, and past leaders of the church, I don't feel insulted by the remark. Either you have faith in the prophet or you don't. It really is as simple as that. And there must be opposition in all things. So with every change in policy or every new move, there will be good for some and bad for others that accompanies it. When a person wants to know why a certain thing happened, he can inquire one of two ways: ask in faith like Nephi, truly believing, and seeking the wisdom of the decision, or he can ask in a murmuring tone like Laman and Lemuel, who said "The Lord makes no such thing known unto us." In the first Devotional of the current school year, BYU President Worthlin pointed out that Laman and Lemuel were probably active members of the church, but simply riding their father's coat tails and being present in body only, did very little for them.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #79
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Honestly, when I realize that the reader is also put off by members of the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Apostles, and past leaders of the church, I don't feel insulted by the remark. Either you have faith in the prophet or you don't. It really is as simple as that. And there must be opposition in all things. So with every change in policy or every new move, there will be good for some and bad for others that accompanies it. When a person wants to know why a certain thing happened, he can inquire one of two ways: ask in faith like Nephi, truly believing, and seeking the wisdom of the decision, or he can ask in a murmuring tone like Laman and Lemuel, who said "The Lord makes no such thing known unto us." In the first Devotional of the current school year, BYU President Worthlin pointed out that Laman and Lemuel were probably active members of the church, but simply riding their father's coat tails and being present in body only, did very little for them.
Why is that I am pretty safe in saying that 99% of members don't expect the President of the church to address this issue in any kind of public give-and-take forum such as a televised interview or a press conference?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #80
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

There is happiness, and then there is joy, and then there is fullness of joy. Those who insist that they are happy with their choices, and the direction of The Lord's servants does not, and they choose not to follow, aren't exactly going to spend eternity in torment. The Lord has prepared a place for them where they will exceptionally happy. Not a fullness of joy, but what they have decided they want.

I'm not saying anything here that hasn't been taught for thousands of years.

Again, either you believe the Church is led by revelation, or you don't. Or you believe it once was, but no longer is. (Same difference). Though having studied the signs of the times, the latter-day prophesies, and the seven years of tribulation that preceed the Second Coming in great detail, I can confidently say that if people don't have the faith to follow the prophet on this issue, then they certainly will not with what's coming next.