cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is your favorite workout?

For me, it depends on the workout.

For cycling, a great, hard workout is the ride from Parowan to Brianhead ski resort, and there is also a ride from Redlands to Lake Arrowhead which is brutal.

Any century with climbing is also a great workout.

In martial arts, any sparring workout is great fun.

My worst and most hated workout, speed work in running. It is brutal, but you get a workout. Try this workout. Warm up with six laps of a four hundred meter track. Next run 1600 at 10 K pace. Next run 1200 at 10 K pace less two to three seconds per quarter, continue the digression down to the 400s, with one lap of jogging in between and then reverse the pyramid back. Warm down with four laps. You will notice a workout.

Best weight workout is bench coupled with dead lift.

Worst are squat days.

My lifting days are over if I want to preserve my joints.

We love to hear about your workouts.

What's the longest workout you've ever had? For about seven hours, a 140 mile bike ride. Legs were tired.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:15 AM   #2
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

10 remote control lifts with thumb curls.

Rest.

Run downstairs for a twinkie and a Diet Coke.

Run upstairs and flop on the couch.

10 more remote control lifts with thumb curls.

Fall asleep in front of a baseball game from post-workout exhaustion.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is your favorite workout?

I too love a century with climbing. The three lakes challenge in Ashland, OR is my current favorite.

My favorite lifting workout is flat bench supersetted with dumbell fly's (5 sets of 12 fly' reps and 12 reps of flat bench). Lets you know you are alive.

I also like heavy bag workouts but they get boring.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Probably would be when I cycled from San Jose to San Diego

when I was 16 years old, down Highway 1. I think our longest day of riding was 120 miles or so.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I did your workout I'd end up in a hospital

Holy endorphins, Batman!

But I am not a couch potato. I was an avid runner (many 10k's, planning on some marathons) then ended up with early degenerative arthritis in my hips, probably from a teenage injury. So I switched to aerobic walking (needed something low-impact). It's walking with that funny gait that Olympic race-walkers use, although they're much faster than I am. (I can do it at a 10.5 minute mile pace when I am really motivated-- I finish ahead of 1/3 of the runners in the average 5k race.) Believe it or not, it is a more effective CV workout than running, for kinesiological reasons. Been doing it daily except Sunday since 1988 for about 45 minutes each day. It's great for CV health and weight control.

I also do light weight lifting 3x week, just to keep from going totally flabby.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default favorite workout

I prefer to warm up with some 4 count burpees and full extention jumping jacks. A few deep bends gets the circulation going and gets me in the groove. Then it's off to the rings for some swinging around. Do a few loop-de-loops, legs together, toes pointed.
With the medicine ball firmly gripped in outstretched arms, a few torso twists really works the upper body. Not too many as an old rotator cuff injury is sure to awaken with pains of much sharpness.
Wind her up with 15 minutes of running in place and I'm off to the showers. A real satisfying burn and back to the office in under 52 minutes.

Regards,
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote