cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
And ended up with a runaway best-seller.
"I tremble for my country when I regard the best-seller list."

--LEON WIESELTIER (April 27, 2008 NY Times)

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #22
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post
So the title of the book didn't tip you off to the intent? Mormon's tend to link "heaven" with religion...
No, I'm saying that in the five plus years since I read the book the religion aspect was not what stuck with me.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Why does all your braggadocio regarding Bronco's greatness involve homoerotic imagery?
It does make my nipples hard, does that count?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It does make my nipples hard, does that count?
It's cool. We're all gay for something whether we want to admit it or not.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #25
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Or should I just drop it? Don't get me wrong, I fully realize Krakauer's greatest draw is not his writing, but rather the subject matter he chooses and his sometimes vague relationship with facts. That being said I don't recall anything egregiously anti-mainstream Mormon in "Under the Banner of Heaven."
Only those who have taken "Persecution Complex 101" at an accredited LDS school, seminary, or institute of religion are equipped to fully identify Krakauer's insidious agenda.

As Seattle Ute wrote, I think Krakauer's biggest flaw is unoriginality - hardly unexpected in the journalisty "inside report" genre. On the other side of the coin, LDS writer Lee Benson is just as unoriginal (and probably more prone to inaccuracy) in his LDS sports books.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

For me it was no more complicated than that Krakauer was played on TV by Shooter McGavin.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #27
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Only those who have taken "Persecution Complex 101" at an accredited LDS school, seminary, or institute of religion are equipped to fully identify Krakauer's insidious agenda.

As Seattle Ute wrote, I think Krakauer's biggest flaw is unoriginality - hardly unexpected in the journalisty "inside report" genre. On the other side of the coin, LDS writer Lee Benson is just as unoriginal (and probably more prone to inaccuracy) in his LDS sports books.
Do we have a mormon academic gently mocking mormons in general for a persecution complex? While we mormons are a lot that wear our persecution complex on our sleeves, my experience on Cougarguard has taught me that the subgroup within the subculture leading the way on stringpulling about persecution are the academics. None of you will give another any street cred until he/she has some sad story about ecclesiastical interference/threats.

Needlenecked pussies!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #28
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Do we have a mormon academic gently mocking mormons in general for a persecution complex? While we mormons are a lot that wear our persecution complex on our sleeves, my experience on Cougarguard has taught me that the subgroup within the subculture leading the way on stringpulling about persecution are the academics. None of you will give another any street cred until he/she has some sad story about ecclesiastical interference/threats.

Needlenecked pussies!
Hey, I never took the class so I wouldn't know. Did they offer it at West Point? And my neck's more red than needle, you Gomer-Pyle-humping ring-knocker.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hey, I never took the class so I wouldn't know. Did they offer it at West Point? And my neck's more red than needle, you Gomer-Pyle-humping ring-knocker.
All I know is that Crackhead picks controversial subjects, has a vague, indeterminate thesis and generally writes poorly.

We have a Goatnapping Lesbian teasing a pencil-necked nittany lion. What theatre. Speaks volumes.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #30
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
You papercut warriors are a hell of lot more exciting when you choose to not be so gentlemanly.