cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Provocative quotes

Should I make posters of these quotes and put them on the bulletin board at church?

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" --Bertrand Russell

"Intolerance is the natural concomitant of strong faith; tolerance grows only when faith loses certainty; certainty is murderous" --Will Durant

"The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived, and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, pervasive, and unrealistic" --John F. Kennedy
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
Should I make posters of these quotes and put them on the bulletin board at church?

"The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt" --Bertrand Russell

"Intolerance is the natural concomitant of strong faith; tolerance grows only when faith loses certainty; certainty is murderous" --Will Durant

"The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived, and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, pervasive, and unrealistic" --John F. Kennedy
Someone should send these quotes to Jon Krakauer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I make more taglines on Cougarguard than all those folks, combined I think. I deserve some type of board recognition, but Waters is bitter that I pointed out Adam is more smarter than he.

You could quote me on yer waaaaaaard bulletin board.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

The first two are great. To the third I say, "Huh?" Not that myths aren't often an enemy of truth, but he seems to be going a little easy on deliberate lies. I guess chalk it up to the fact he made the statement during the '60's.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Tavern Knight

Tavern Knight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The first two are great. To the third I say, "Huh?" Not that myths aren't often an enemy of truth, but he seems to be going a little easy on deliberate lies. I guess chalk it up to the fact he made the statement during the '60's.
I don't think he's going easy on deliberate lies, I think it's more that that kind of insidious lie is more rare and less believable. A flat out, bold faced lie is often disprovable.

That quote reminds me a little of ETB's quote that (paraphrasing) more evil has been done in the world by well intentioned do-gooders than by all the despots, tyrants, and dictators that ever lived.

In both cases, the harm is done because it's frequently not recognized for what it really is.

Last edited by Tavern Knight; 05-13-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Tavern Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The greatness of JFK's presidency: lie or myth?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
The greatness of JFK's presidency: lie or myth?
Both.

The lie is what his worshipers believe.

The myth is what the rest of us see.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 AM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I understand the JFK quote as suggesting the power of ideology--of mythos.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote