cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Yes, it's a nonsequitur, but then I'm not trying to make some kind of argument (other than the way talk radio mocked her as a teen was indefensible).

The trajectory of my observation is that Chelsea seems like a pleasant person.
Now that she has been involved in politics, we'll never know because her persona is constructed for a particular effect. Thus, we have reason to be skeptical of any aspect of her persona publicly displayed for our viewing pleasure. IOW, how can we know what aspect is genuine and what aspect is artifice, as we must assume all politics is artifice unless examined more closely in scholarly detail. To do otherwise, would allow oneself to be duped into believing the charades of the puppet masters.

As a disclaimer I never really followed the critique of Chelsea, nor her glorification, as celebrities generally don't interest me.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #22
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Now that she has been involved in politics, we'll never know because her persona is constructed for a particular effect. Thus, we have reason to be skeptical of any aspect of her persona publicly displayed for our viewing pleasure. IOW, how can we know what aspect is genuine and what aspect is artifice, as we must assume all politics is artifice unless examined more closely in scholarly detail. To do otherwise, would allow oneself to be duped into believing the charades of the puppet masters.
No doubt. Out of curiosity I looked up her involvement in ballet. Apparently, her interest goes back to when she was a toddler and she now serves on the board of the School of American Ballet. I see little political value in such service, but I'm sure it can be woven into the web of Clinton conspiracy.

When she's stumping for her mom or something she certainly invites scrutiny. But Rush Limbaugh asking, "Did you know there's a White House dog?" and then holding up a picture of 13-year old Chelsea on his TV show was just cruel. David Shuster declaring she was "pimped out" in Hillary's campaign was also pretty thoughtless.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When she's stumping for her mom or something she certainly invites scrutiny. But Rush Limbaugh asking, "Did you know there's a White House dog?" and then holding up a picture of 13-year old Chelsea on his TV show was just cruel. David Shuster declaring she was "pimped out" in Hillary's campaign was also pretty thoughtless.
McCain's Chelsea Clinton joke was easily the worst.

http://www.salon.com/news/1998/06/25newsb.html

That said, no right winger has been more cruel to Chelsea Clinton than her father has.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
Archaea

Quote:
No doubt. Out of curiosity I looked up her involvement in ballet. Apparently, her interest goes back to when she was a toddler and she now serves on the board of the School of American Ballet. I see little political value in such service, but I'm sure it can be woven into the web of Clinton conspiracy.

But of course I ignored those things and in most instance wasn't listening to Rush so you read me the wrong way. And in Pakistan they also kill entire families of the opposition. Politics is inherently, cruel, insane and brutal. There is no humanity available within politics. Rarely or never has been and I would never expect it. Expect the worst. If it is the norm, how can it be deplorable. Once it's the norm, what's deplorable has been chased off.

Her interest in ballet is irrelevant, and doesn't humanize her for me one way or the other. A terrible analogy I admit, but did you know Hitler liked his dog?

We could spin it this way. What if the designing parents steered her to ballet for some political purpose, and she ended up liking it, and saw the great connections for money within that network. IOW, I have no idea, don't care other than to argue about it, and it just seems irrelevant. Her parents receive the brunt because they are notoriously brutal, and they have a large measure of success. And because they employ the most brutal of tactics they've made a fair share of enemies. In the no-holds-barred world of politics, nobody is spared.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Men suck.
Arch and Triple Dad are pigs. I am so sorry you have to put up with them.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Arch and Triple Dad are pigs. I am so sorry you have to put up with them.
I post a picture of a happily married couple having a romantic interlude on the beach and this is the thanks I get?

If anything, I would expect Barbara to thank me for reminding everyone on this board that chivalry and romance are not dead.

If the Clintons can find time for each other, so can we in our own marriages.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I post a picture of a happily married couple having a romantic interlude on the beach and this is the thanks I get?

If anything, I would expect Barbara to thank me for reminding everyone on this board that chivalry and romance are not dead.

If the Clintons can find time for each other, so can we in our own marriages.
That was cool photo-shopping. I didn't know you were so talented.