cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 04-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #31
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
The WOW makes a lot more sense when you stop expecting it to be objectively tied to real health benefits or detriments. It is nothing more or less than a way to show devotion to God. Just like the Jews would have been just fine eating pork and shellfish, you would be okay physically if you drank tea. Or maybe you would suffer some marginal loss of health, but I don't think that is really what it is all about. At least not any more.
Yep.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if you don't believe in the prophets, then that is your business.
You've got me all wrong, Mike. I don't drink or smoke. Nor do I indulge in hot drinks. I eat my fair share of wheat, and I eat very little barley or rye. But I must admit that I love oatmeal raisin cookies (sorry YOhio) and corn on the cob. And I eat meat in the summer.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
The WOW makes a lot more sense when you stop expecting it to be objectively tied to real health benefits or detriments. It is nothing more or less than a way to show devotion to God. Just like the Jews would have been just fine eating pork and shellfish, you would be okay physically if you drank tea. Or maybe you would suffer some marginal loss of health, but I don't think that is really what it is all about. At least not any more.
I take it at face value. It is one of my favorite revelations. I just don't like how it is observed in modern times. I think that speaks more to our culture and human nature than it does to the original revelation.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I take it at face value. It is one of my favorite revelations. I just don't like how it is observed in modern times. I think that speaks more to our culture and human nature than it does to the original revelation.
I guess it all depends on what you believe its face value is. I agree with you that in our culture it has moved well beyond the original intent. That it is such an easy litmus test to apply has dramatically exaggerated its importance, IMO.

I don't drink and never have. Don't believe I ever will. Still, I do think it is unfortunate that we have removed alcohol from the culture since there is a fair amount of Biblical drinking and particularly since wine has such an important symbolic connection to the blood of Christ, was consumed at that last supper. Jesus compared the new law to wine that would shatter an old bottle, the Samaritan treats the beaten man with oil and wine, Jesus says he will drink wine in the new Kingdom of God. Its a small thing. I just like the symbolic connection.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Because the LDS Church and it's teachings are the same in all countries, the real question ought to be whether green tea is against the Word of Wisdom, regardless of country.

The Word of Wisdom mentions hot drinks. People have interpreted it to mean coffee and tea, but not hot chocolate. Apparently, caffeinated soft drinks are ok. Perhaps iced green tea would be as well.

Who knows?

If I have an upset stomach, I'll have a cup of green tea and I don't sweat it much.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #36
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The Word of Wisdom mentions hot drinks. People have interpreted it to mean coffee and tea, but not hot chocolate. Apparently, caffeinated soft drinks are ok. Perhaps iced green tea would be as well.
I applaud the fact that the church has declined in any official way to be more specific. I think that a huge proportion of the membership would be very happy to get back to the level of specificity that the Jews in Jesus day had. Can't eat off of a cracked plate. Can only take a certain number of steps on the sabbath. You break your fast if you swallow your saliva. That is an impulse that has to be actively resisted and for the most part I think the brethren do a good job.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I applaud the fact that the church has declined in any official way to be more specific. I think that a huge proportion of the membership would be very happy to get back to the level of specificity that the Jews in Jesus day had. Can't eat off of a cracked plate. Can only take a certain number of steps on the sabbath. You break your fast if you swallow your saliva. That is an impulse that has to be actively resisted and for the most part I think the brethren do a good job.
Agreed.

It seems that there are portions of the WofW that are left to personal interpretation. It makes us think for ourselves and leaves a bit of wiggle room for areas that are not so specific.

I've always felt that it's more something to test obedience than anything else, especially when it comes to alcohol and other drinks.

It's like posting a "Do not touch because the electricity may or may not be on" sign on a regular chain link fence to see if anyone is willing to just not touch the fence because of the sign. You might not get shocked if you touch it, but by touching it, you ignored the warning.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I guess it all depends on what you believe its face value is. I agree with you that in our culture it has moved well beyond the original intent. That it is such an easy litmus test to apply has dramatically exaggerated its importance, IMO.
Exactly.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 AM   #39
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Mexican rice tea, also known as Horchata.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #40
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
Green teas comes from the exact same plants as black teas, except the leaves have not been allowed to oxidize as much as the black variants.

People who rationalize that green tea is okay are using the same logic as some LDS I know that rationalize that iced-coffee is not a 'hot drink.'
I work with a current stake president who drinks a Starbucks frappuccino every morning.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote