cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Iron Man

Went and saw Iron Man with my dad tonight and really enjoyed it. I knew virtually nothing about the Iron man franchise so I went into it with an open mind.

This is the movie that will make Robert Downey Jr. a true big time star. He makes you think a lot of a George Clooney in this movie. He is dashing and funny, but a good enough actor to bring some gravitas to the role as well. Gwen Paltro and Terrence Howard also play bit parts that don't really let them show their talents, though Paltrow looks fantastic which is a talent I suppose.

Jeff Bridges plays as good a villain as anyone I have seen in recent memory save Javier Bardem.

The movie is slick with its FX but doesn't over do it and while it was apparent to me that a few bones were being thrown to the fanboys in terms of foreshadowing, there was very little and it certainly wasn't distracting as it was at times in the X-Men movies.

Anyway, this is one of the best comic book movies that has been made. Much like Tobey McGuire inhabited Spiderman in the first movie and made you like him or Hugh Jackman in the first X-Men film, Downey Jr. makes this movie. It is, to me, as good as those other two movies. Just when you thought the comic book movie genre had run its course and couldn't give you something new and interesting, it surprises you.

Last note as to previews, I will give Hulk a chance because Edward Norton could make it work. He is like gold to me, but seeing the previews the CG still just isn't that good. Better than the Eric Bana version and darker and less cartoonish in the preview, but somehow they just don't seem to have the technology to make it look right. I will probably also give the Happening a chance against my better judgment.

Last edited by UtahDan; 05-02-2008 at 03:29 AM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a really hard time buying downey jr. as a super hero. I guess I'll have to check this movie out.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's getting rave reviews. I'll have to catch it sometime.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I have boys so seeing it was a given and it's not a story I knew. However, although it doesn't rate with the best film category, I would rate it with the best comic adopted to film, better than any of the Spidermen or Batmen films.

It is surprising how well it's acted and directed. It makes you appreciate Paltrow and Downey all the more. Jeff Bridges is also superb. The movie is a sleeper as I expected nothing.

First, it's an action film and not meant to penetrate your sole, but if you want something somewhat mindless but fun, then this film fits the bill. I suppose some could find flaws if one looked hard enough, but for the genre, this one sets the standard.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Wasn't that impressed. Best of the comic book movies goes to Batman Begins--by far. This was maybe towards the top of the rest of them. Pretty much the same ol' thing though.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw this movie today and liked it alot. It had all the things that made Transformers cool, but with none of the stuff that made Transformers lame.

Never held Robert Downey Jr. in any particularly high regard, but he was awesome in this movie.

I'd say this movie is a close 2nd to Batman Begins for best comic book movie.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

RDJ already was a true big time star.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Saw this movie today and liked it alot. It had all the things that made Transformers cool, but with none of the stuff that made Transformers lame.

Never held Robert Downey Jr. in any particularly high regard, but he was awesome in this movie.

I'd say this movie is a close 2nd to Batman Begins for best comic book movie.
But Batman didn't have Paltrow and Bridges.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The previews made me pretty apathetic to this movie. I prematurely lumped it with the Elektra's, Fantastic Four's, that lame Ben Afflec flick's of the world. The review have been outstanding, so I will now watch it.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
RDJ already was a true big time star.
When able to stay clean for 20 minutes, RDJ is a very talented actor. Looks like he has his demons in check now. I hope so for the sake of his family.