cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reorganized -- Community of Christ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

Interesting, they have added and continue to add to the Doctrine and Covenants (their version).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

Interesting, they have added and continue to add to the Doctrine and Covenants (their version).
I note that the church that Emma (JS?) founded is in many ways more enlightened and forthright than the big LDS movement (I hesitate to say mainstream in this context), and lacks many of the skeletons. Apparently they have repudiated the Book of Mormon's racism and any other racism in JS's writings. They are all but agnostic on the Book of Mormon's origins, forthrightly recognizing the absurdity of any claim to historicity. They are aggresively eccumenical. Am I correct that they were not polygamists? Did they have a priesthood ban? If so, they seem to have explicitly addressed and repudiated and condemned that too. Not a bad legacy for Emma (and Joseph?).

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I note that the church that Emma (JS?) founded is in many ways more enlightened and forthright than the big LDS movement (I hesitate to say mainstream in this context), and lacks many of the skeletons. Apparently they have repudiated the Book of Mormon's racism and any other racism in JS's writings. They are all but agnostic on the Book of Mormon's origins, forthrightly recognizing the absurdity of any claim to historicity. They are aggresively eccumenical. Am I correct that they were not polygamists? Did they have a priesthood ban? If so, they seem to have explicitly addressed and repudiated and condemned that too. Not a bad legacy for Emma (and Joseph?).
I don't know if they had a priesthood ban, but they gave the priesthood to their women several years ago, I believe.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I don't know if they had a priesthood ban, but they gave the priesthood to their women several years ago, I believe.
There you go. LDS Church, see your future. Maybe someday the sects will reunite.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

RLDS is going the way of the dodo bird.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Exactly. But at least they'll have some good feelings from SU as they slowly dissappear.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The RLDS have at least two women apostles.

http://www.cofchrist.org/news/GeneralInfo.asp
Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
They will die honorably. An enviable fate.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No, they are not dying honorably, because they have not stayed true to the vision of Joseph and Emma. They have traded whatever birthright they had, for mainstream status.

They will soon be Episcopalians. And Episcos are also going the way of the dodo bird.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:08 AM   #10
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

I guess it's a nice legacy except for the fact that they rarely mention Joseph (or Emma), or much of anything other than being a church of peace. There are a number of conservative congregations (such as around Nauvoo) that still look to their founding, and revere Joseph. but the main body of the church would prefer that the history just kind of go away. There has been a lot of infighting and schisms because of these issues.

It also wasn't great for them that their last President resigned, saying he had "made some inappropriate choices", although I don't think that has been as big an issue as the doctrinal changes.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote