cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #21
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

The frustrating thing to watch as a Jazzfan is that you know you need to win 1, probably 2 in LA to take the series. Being within 4 with 3 to play is a great opportunity to get a win. You need to take advantage of those chances.

I am of the opinion that if the Jazz want to win, they have to stop the "other" Lakers. Kome is going to get his. Gasol and Odom will probably combine for 25-35 a night. The key for Utah is going to be not letting anybody else really hurt them. Today Vujacic did, and they paid. I hope this turns into a fun hard-fought series. With the Jazz winning, of course.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

before the playoffs started, my friend was talking about how great Derek Fisher is. How he plays such great defense. We were arguing about how the lakers would do against the Jazz. My friend is a big fan of Deron Williams, but insinuated he would not be able to do all that much against Fisher's D. I hotly disputed this.

Well, we know who was the ignoramus on this one. Me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
before the playoffs started, my friend was talking about how great Derek Fisher is. How he plays such great defense. We were arguing about how the lakers would do against the Jazz. My friend is a big fan of Deron Williams, but insinuated he would not be able to do all that much against Fisher's D. I hotly disputed this.

Rush to judgment.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #24
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I love D Fish but he's not a talented defender. Derek has a hard time getting through screens and goes beneath them too often allowing his opponent to have an open look at the basket. It's kind of a catch-22 though because when he goes over the top as he should he's too slow to get back into the picture to play defense. Watch any playoff game with the Kings and Lakers from yesteryear. Bibby torched him.

What he lacks in physical ability though Fisher makes up in smarts and strength. He's strong and is tough to back down allowing him to guard bigger guys than his height should allow. He's also not afraid to step into traffic and take a charge. He's good for at least one a game. He can also flop when necessary.

I don't think Deron's day was as much a result of Fisher's D as it was the Lakers team D. They can defend the pick and roll much better with agile bigs in Gasol, Odom and Turiaf. Kobe and the other guards play the lanes and they all collapse and rotate extremely well.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #25
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Yeah...23 Ft's attempts for ONE player definetly screams too tightly of a called game, but I expected that before the series began so I wasn't surprised. Not too mention that even before the Jazz started fouling more in the last 2 minutes..the Lakers already had MORE FT attempts than the Jazz, but nice try anyway.
I'm not finding a 6-foul difference between the Lakers & Jazz very convincing. Especially after you factor in 2-3 fouls in the last minute. And when you factor in home-court.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I love D Fish but he's not a talented defender.
Derek Fisher had six steals, more than all of the Jazz players combined.

D.Will had 14 points.

Advantage Fisher.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #27
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah...23 Ft's attempts for ONE player definetly screams too tightly of a called game, but I expected that before the series began so I wasn't surprised. Not too mention that even before the Jazz started fouling more in the last 2 minutes..the Lakers already had MORE FT attempts than the Jazz, but nice try anyway.
The Jazz lead the league in fouls. It really isn't surprising that they put the Lakers on the line more than they got to the line. The Jazz play physical defense and foul more than any other team in the league. Why would anyone be surprised that the team that leads the league in fouls would put the other team on the line more than they got to the line themselves. This was not a shocker and was not an indication of biased officiating. It was an indication of how the Jazz have been playing defense for as long as I can remember.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The Jazz lead the league in fouls. It really isn't surprising that they put the Lakers on the line more than they got to the line. The Jazz play physical defense and foul more than any other team in the league. Why would anyone be surprised that the team that leads the league in fouls would put the other team on the line more than they got to the line themselves. This was not a shocker and was not an indication of biased officiating. It was an indication of how the Jazz have been playing defense for as long as I can remember.
It's not surprising, but to say that Kobe doesn't get superstar preferential treatment regardless of who your team just isn't a clear minded statement.

DWill went to the paint several times yesterday and got hammered many times with hardly a call. While Kobe would get Brewer to jump into the air, then literally jump into Brewer to initiate contact and Brewer gets hit with the foul.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kobe would get Brewer to jump into the air, then literally jump into Brewer to initiate contact and Brewer gets hit with the foul.
So you're complaining that they called a foul on a foul?

There's no doubt that Kobe gets some calls. He's not alone in that, and it doesn't happen nearly as often as many seem to believe.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I'm not finding a 6-foul difference between the Lakers & Jazz very convincing. Especially after you factor in 2-3 fouls in the last minute. And when you factor in home-court.
yeah 23 FT's by ONE player is never convincing.