cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports

Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
So you're complaining that they called a foul on a foul?

There's no doubt that Kobe gets some calls. He's not alone in that, and it doesn't happen nearly as often as many seem to believe.
Actually it happens more than people irrationally and stubbornly refuse to believe.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #32
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Actually it happens more than people irrationally and stubbornly refuse to believe.
Actually, it happens FAR less than the idiotic haters stubbornly insist. Hey look - I can argue just like you!

When you can point to a significant number of 'phantom fouls' called for Kobe, and show that it happens consistently, I'll concede that it happens more often than I currently believe. I won't be holding my breath.

BTW, a few stats to ponder:

Kobe is 2nd in the playoffs in Field Goal Attempts per game, at 22.4.
Kobe is 3rd in the playoffs in Free Throw Attempts per game, at 12.2.

You'd think that, among players with at least 4 FGA per game, he'd be way up there at the top in terms of a FGA to FTA ratio.

After removing players with less than four games played in the playoffs, and then removing players with less than 4 FGA per game, Kobe (1.84) ends up #15 in FGA/FTA. Behind such players as Shaq (which makes sense), Reggie Evans (1.08), Leon Powe (1.26), and Brandon Bass (1.44).

So yes, I'd agree that Kobe might get a call for "superstar treatment" that some others don't. I simply don't believe these calls amount to much.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #33
Spaz

It seems pretty obvious, to me, that Kobe is far more athletic & gifted than nearly any other player today. He therefore is fouled far more often than most players, since that's all the defender can do to stop him.

Fans of opposing teams, obviously, will become frustrated by his frequent visits to the charity stripe. Which, understandably, leads to the belief that he doesn't deserve the foul shots he gets.

But the notion that he frequently gets 'star treatment', and frequently gets calls that other, lesser players won't get, is blown far out of proportion with reality.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Actually, it happens FAR less than the idiotic haters stubbornly insist. Hey look - I can argue just like you!

When you can point to a significant number of 'phantom fouls' called for Kobe, and show that it happens consistently, I'll concede that it happens more often than I currently believe. I won't be holding my breath.

BTW, a few stats to ponder:

Kobe is 2nd in the playoffs in Field Goal Attempts per game, at 22.4.
Kobe is 3rd in the playoffs in Free Throw Attempts per game, at 12.2.

You'd think that, among players with at least 4 FGA per game, he'd be way up there at the top in terms of a FGA to FTA ratio.

After removing players with less than four games played in the playoffs, and then removing players with less than 4 FGA per game, Kobe (1.84) ends up #15 in FGA/FTA. Behind such players as Shaq (which makes sense), Reggie Evans (1.08), Leon Powe (1.26), and Brandon Bass (1.44).

So yes, I'd agree that Kobe might get a call for "superstar treatment" that some others don't. I simply don't believe these calls amount to much.
If you could argue like me you might actually be right once in a blue moon.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM   #35
RockyBalboa

Quote:
It seems pretty obvious, to me, that Kobe is far more athletic & gifted than nearly any other player today. He therefore is fouled far more often than most players, since that's all the defender can do to stop him.

Fans of opposing teams, obviously, will become frustrated by his frequent visits to the charity stripe. Which, understandably, leads to the belief that he doesn't deserve the foul shots he gets.

But the notion that he frequently gets 'star treatment', and frequently gets calls that other, lesser players won't get, is blown far out of proportion with reality.
Right, Kobe and others don't freuently get superstar treatment.

Anytime you want to make an argument grounded in factual reality then please feel free.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #36
Spaz

Quote:
If you could argue like me you might actually be right once in a blue moon.
Keep telling yourself that, if it makes you feel better.

You don't seem capable of responding to the stats that show you're wrong, so by all means, fall back to making snide comments.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #37
Spaz

Quote:
Right, Kobe and others don't freuently get superstar treatment.

Anytime you want to make an argument grounded in factual reality then please feel free.
Here you go. Feel free to respond, if you can.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

So Kobe is avg 12 Ft/game....and yet it took all of one game in the series to break a Lakers Free throw record.

Do you really have the irrational contention that Superstars in the league don't get preferential treatment? And I'm not just referring to Kobe either.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #39
Spaz

Quote:
So Kobe is avg 12 Ft/game....and yet it took all of one game in the series to break a Lakers Free throw record.
Yep. He certainly went to the line a lot in Game1. I don't expect that trend to continue. Tracy McGrady averaged 8.8 FTA/game in the Utah series, but shot 18 in game6 (taking out that game, he averaged 7FTA/game). He averaged 5.4/game during the season this year.

FWIW, in the last three years, Kobe's FTA/game has dropped from 10.2 to 10.0 to 9.1 in 07-08. His FGA/game has also dropped each of those years - although most drastically between the season ending in '06 & the season ending in '07.

In response to the part of the post you added...

No. As I've stated, the preferential treatment exists. I simply don't think it's as prevalent as you apparently do. In fact, I'd suggest that the opposite effect is more prevalent - the scrubs not getting calls they should because they suck.

BTW, you're heading back into the "Rocky's fallback argument" position by adding the word 'irrational' to your question. You'd be far better off if you'd make a rational argument yourself rather than simply mocking the arguments of others. But, you don't seem capable of making such an argument.

Last edited by Spaz; 05-06-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #40
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Yep. He certainly went to the line a lot in Game1. I don't expect that trend to continue. Tracy McGrady averaged 8.8 FTA/game in the Utah series, but shot 18 in game6 (taking out that game, he averaged 7FTA/game). He averaged 5.4/game during the season this year.

FWIW, in the last three years, Kobe's FTA/game has dropped from 10.2 to 10.0 to 9.1 in 07-08. His FGA/game has also dropped each of those years - although most drastically between the season ending in '06 & the season ending in '07.

In response to the part of the post you added...

No. As I've stated, the preferential treatment exists. I simply don't think it's as prevalent as you apparently do. In fact, I'd suggest that the opposite effect is more prevalent - the scrubs not getting calls they should because they suck.

BTW, you're heading back into the "Rocky's fallback argument" position by adding the word 'irrational' to your question. You'd be far better off if you'd make a rational argument yourself rather than simply mocking the arguments of others. But, you don't seem capable of making such an argument.
I absolutely don't think it's rational...even a tiny bit to think that preferential treatment, moreso in the NBA than any of the major sports isn't prevalent.

Since you refuse to believe so, in spite of years of factual history proving me right, you and your "argument" has earned the right to be mocked.