cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 05-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Into Thin Air

"Into Thin Air" tells a tale that alludes strongly to the Titanic disaster. We have hubris, reckless competition, foolhardy belief in the idnomitable power of technology in the face of nature's severest tests, a gathering of high society, mass catastrophe, nature exacting the harshest of lessons. In the end, technology will yield, it always does and always will, ultimately. The book also has echoes of Melville--the mountain, the squall, are the White Whale, all symbolizing metaphysical evil. The adversary. Whatevery you think of its "historicity" "Into Thin Air" is a great read. A modern adventure classic. Praise John Krakauer.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Too bad he doesn't write as well as Melville. He's a hack. The concept is fine, but his attempt to glorify himself, plus his lack of literary ability, makes it a pile of shit.

The concept could have and should have been so much more.

And in one respect, he didn't write as an epic tale, but as a tell-all tale, whereas he would have been better off going epic, with Krackhead as Ahab. Krackhead killed people through his sloth, yet he continues to tarnish he who was a hero. Burn in hell Krackhead.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-16-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys should get a TV show. maybe point/counterpoint would be a good title.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Too bad he doesn't write as well as Melville. He's a hack. The concept is fine, but his attempt to glorify himself, plus his lack of literary ability, makes it a pile of shit.

The concept could have and should have been so much more.

And in one respect, he didn't write as an epic tale, but as a tell-all tale, whereas he would have been better off going epic, with Krackhead as Ahab. Krackhead killed people through his sloth, yet he continues to tarnish he who was a hero. Burn in hell Krackhead.
You haven't read it. It's sad your religious extremism deprives you of appreciating fine literature.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You haven't read it. It's sad your religious extremism deprives you of appreciating fine literature.

Pardon me, but your troll is showing.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

I read it, I enjoyed it. I also read Anatoli Boukreev's "The Climb" and found it more truthful and not as preachy and judgmental.

Both were good and had strong points.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
WTF. I've both read it and seen the movie. He's awful. If you find him to be a good writer, then think again, he's no Tolstoy.

He's no Melville.

If you disagree, present some of the images that you believe are so memorable, and compare it to the Climb. Or compare it to No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Viesturs.

Get you weak sauce out of here, and leave your religious bigotry at home. We don't need no terrorists.

Here's Salon's review, too generous in my opinion, but some valid points as well, pointing to Krackhead's narcissism. http://www.salon.com/may97/wanderlus...ges970524.html

Quote:
The resulting narrative, shipped to bookstores just one year after its author returned from Nepal, feels somehow incomplete, despite meticulous research and a self-conscious struggle for objectivity. The rough authenticity of the narrative is powerful, to be sure, but "Into Thin Air" ultimately lacks the insight and persuasiveness of Krakauer's previous book, "Into the Wild," the deeply engaging and thought-provoking tale of a young adventurer who died in the Alaskan wilderness while pursuing a dream similar in many respects to the dream that draws climbers to Everest.
Reading "Into Thin Air" is like witnessing a bad traffic accident in slow motion: All the gory details are visible, but it's difficult to make sense of the carnage. "Several authors and editors I respect counseled me not to write the book as quickly as I did," Krakauer acknowledges in the introduction. "They urged me to wait two or three years and put some distance between me and the expedition in order to gain some crucial perspective. But I hoped something would be gained by spilling my soul in the calamity's immediate aftermath, in the roil and torment of the moment." True enough, but I'm already looking forward to the book Krakauer will write once he has gained the "crucial perspective" that will allow him to apply the extraordinary sensibility of "Into the Wild" to his own brush with death on Everest.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-16-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Archaea

A review of the Climb and some critical conversations original published in High Magazine are included here.

http://www.pauldeegan.com/expedition...imb_review.pdf

Read about the conversations between Fischer and Boukreev as established by Fischer's publicist.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I assume you're quoting the review of that particular book?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Can I assume you're quoting the review of that particular book?
Yes. The first one is of Into Thin Air, which generally received good reveiws.