cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 11-10-2016, 01:59 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
His victory amazes me.
Must be a shock to DC residents. Who voted for Clinton at the tune of about 93%. Must be like living in a total bubble.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:24 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Must be a shock to DC residents. Who voted for Clinton at the tune of about 93%. Must be like living in a total bubble.
“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they are I don’t know. They’re outside my ken. But sometimes when I’m in a theater I can feel them.”

Pauline Kael.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Archaea

Horrible rumor: Palin being considered for a cabinet position. Ugh, barf.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Horrible rumor: Palin being considered for a cabinet position. Ugh, barf.
yes, disturbing. I wouldn't hire her to be my babysitter.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

There will probably be some hits and some misses on his cabinet. There is a rumor around Jon Huntsman for Sec. of State. That's probably actually a pretty good one for those who don't like the US being overly involved in wars all over the planet. It would also be a pick that would ease concerns our friends in Europe and Asia might have. He's not one to want the US to suddenly throw those relationships away.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:53 AM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
yes, disturbing. I wouldn't hire her to be my babysitter.
I would hire somebody to babysit her. I am spewing profanities at the thought of her. f)&&(U(_&&U
Old 11-11-2016, 01:55 AM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
There will probably be some hits and some misses on his cabinet. There is a rumor around Jon Huntsman for Sec. of State. That's probably actually a pretty good one for those who don't like the US being overly involved in wars all over the planet. It would also be a pick that would ease concerns our friends in Europe and Asia might have. He's not one to want the US to suddenly throw those relationships away.
Sessions, Gingrich, and Huntsman would be acceptable.

And not to be pedantic, get Condie Rice in there, but she is too sane. We need women and people of color as well. The GOP can't turn a deaf ear to the growing demographic. We can appoint Asians, Latinos and other groups. Get quality, get diversity and then listen to them.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:32 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

appoint me. I'll by the Czar of the internet. and I will punish my enemies. With random and nonsensical 1 month suspensions from their own message boards.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
It has become impolite for educated persons to talk about the impact of Mexican immigration on our economies and cities. It is MASSIVE. And not all of it is positive. Yet we can't have a conversation about it due to political correctness.
There are problems in our cities, but it's not illegal immigration. Actually, I've heard repeatedly lately that illegal immigration into the US is modest and actually there is no net increase of illegal immigrants in the US for a long time now. They come and they go. I heard billionaire Trump supporter Peter Theil say this just last night. (He's a billionaire Trump supporter who doesn't believe Trump will keep any of his campaign promises.)

Actually, I have no problem with polite society looking askance at immigration bashing. Without exception, anyone I've ever known (outside of demagoguing politicians) who cares about the immigration issue is a bigot or a loser, pretty much usually both. The demagoguing sure didn't sell in California.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
There are problems in our cities, but it's not illegal immigration. Actually, I've heard repeatedly lately that illegal immigration into the US is modest and actually there is no net increase of illegal immigrants in the US for a long time now. They come and they go. I heard billionaire Trump supporter Peter Theil say this just last night. (He's a billionaire Trump supporter who doesn't believe Trump will keep any of his campaign promises.)

Actually, I have no problem with polite society looking askance at immigration bashing. Without exception, anyone I've ever known (outside of demagoguing politicians) who cares about the immigration issue is a bigot or a loser, pretty much usually both. The demagoguing sure didn't sell in California.
You haven't been impacted by it. Hispanic immigration has reshaped the city of Dallas.

Dallas ISD (schools) is now 70.2% Hispanic, 22.5% African American, 4.9% White.

Of course a wealthy lawyer who has kids in private school is not going to feel any impact. You're not competing for wages, you've not had to pull your kids out of their school and move away. Hispanic immigration is the #1 factor for white flight in this area.

Unfailingly liberal elites who say none of this is an issue have their kids in private schools.