cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bees are doing better

The beehive had been doing pretty poorly. The same number or less bees than when I started. Hadn't filled out all the comb. It seemed as if the hive was in retreat.

It had been about a month since I last opened it (which is way too long).

So I opened it up, and to my surprise it is doing quite well. There is new comb, and the hive is almost full comb-wise. Lots more bees than before. And not that many hive beetles (I killed all that I saw). So that means there is a fall nectar flow going on right now.

So I put on the super yesterday (the 2nd story of the hive designed to capture honey production). I don't expect I will have any honey to harvest. It will have to all stay so the hive survives the winter.

My member neighbor gave me a nucleus hive, as well as some wax foundations. He also gave me a stainless steel honey extractor. Basically it is a hand-powered centrifuge to remove honey from frames. It's probably worth $300 used. He used to have hives, but hasn't had them in a long time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The beehive had been doing pretty poorly. The same number or less bees than when I started. Hadn't filled out all the comb. It seemed as if the hive was in retreat.

It had been about a month since I last opened it (which is way too long).

So I opened it up, and to my surprise it is doing quite well. There is new comb, and the hive is almost full comb-wise. Lots more bees than before. And not that many hive beetles (I killed all that I saw). So that means there is a fall nectar flow going on right now.

So I put on the super yesterday (the 2nd story of the hive designed to capture honey production). I don't expect I will have any honey to harvest. It will have to all stay so the hive survives the winter.

My member neighbor gave me a nucleus hive, as well as some wax foundations. He also gave me a stainless steel honey extractor. Basically it is a hand-powered centrifuge to remove honey from frames. It's probably worth $300 used. He used to have hives, but hasn't had them in a long time.
That sounds more sophisticated than our centrifuge, which was a sanitized galvanized garbage can with two hand-welded wire baskets in turn welded to a central axis with a gear at one end, with teeth that meshed with a crank (the gearing was such that it took a bit of effort to get it moving, but once you had momentum, you could really cruise). Used an electric hot knife to cut off the wax cover, and then chewed the wax like gum.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
That sounds more sophisticated than our centrifuge, which was a sanitized galvanized garbage can with two hand-welded wire baskets in turn welded to a central axis with a gear at one end, with teeth that meshed with a crank (the gearing was such that it took a bit of effort to get it moving, but once you had momentum, you could really cruise). Used an electric hot knife to cut off the wax cover, and then chewed the wax like gum.
nice. another beekeeper in our midst.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
nikuman

Quote:
nice. another beekeeper in our midst.
A very rusty beekeeper - it's been years, and I hung up the smoker, so to speak, at about 17. My father convinced me that I could safely move a hive sans protective gear at twilight rather than wait for full darkness. A week spent as the elephant man (15+ stings, most of which were on the face) was not pleasant (did I mention I am a bit allergic?).
Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I understand you should never open a hive at night.

And I thought if you were moving a hive at night, you needed to close it up first.

Did you know that one of the largest beekeeping operations that sells bees is a scant 45 minutes from you?

http://www.beeweaver.com/home.php

http://www.rweaver.com/

(used to be the same operation, but brothers had a severe falling out years ago).

I think they are among the top 3 bee providers in the country.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
nikuman

Quote:
I understand you should never open a hive at night.

And I thought if you were moving a hive at night, you needed to close it up first.

Did you know that one of the largest beekeeping operations that sells bees is a scant 45 minutes from you?

http://www.beeweaver.com/home.php

http://www.rweaver.com/

(used to be the same operation, but brothers had a severe falling out years ago).

I think they are among the top 3 bee providers in the country.
When I move to my ranch in S. Utah (in 30 years, probably), I'm definitely keeping bees.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My friend who was visiting me last week, I had him open up the hive just so he could have the experience and feel more comfortable about things when he does it in the future (he plans to get a hive).

I myself opened up my hive today. Lots of progress. Lots of bees in the super building comb (the super is the second box that is placed on top of the hive body box--the super is for the bees to store honey). No honey yet in the super.

The point of all this is that I will get honey this spring.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The bees are kicking butt. The number of bees in the super have doubled in just one week, and I suspect in one more week, all the comb will be filled out in the super. Which worries me, because bee people are telling me I need another super pronto, as in right now. I just put in an order for 10 medium supers with frames. Plus I had to buy 100 wax foundations. Foundations, unfortunately are not cheap at 50 cents apiece.

This honey better taste good!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

So I ordered my 10 supers plus frames and wax foundation.

I just received notice of shipment. They said that shipping cost would be "actual charges." So I look at the notice of shipment and for weight it says "103 pounds."

OUCH!!!!! I'm scared now.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I should add that our UPS person must really hate us because sometimes Farrah will order 200lb of dog food mail-order.