cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Since this is your first time hiking in Southern Utah, you may want to hit some of the better traveled places. I think a 10 year-old would get a thrill out of:

(1) Zion National Park
-Angel's Landing
-The Narrows, from the TOP to the BOTTOM, not the other way. It is a 13 mile hike, but not strenuous. You're in the water for about 9-10 miles of the hike. After seeing Zion canyon from the bottom, I found it amazing to see the Virgin river from the top, where it is just a creek among meadows, and then to follow it down as it carves its way through the red rock, the walls gradually getting higher and higher.
-The Subway -- an incredibly fun hike; swimming, jumping, ducking, climbing, etc. It has it all.

(2) Bryce
-For sheer beauty, this one's hard to beat. A few nice hikes in the canyon too.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:30 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Since this is your first time hiking in Southern Utah, you may want to hit some of the better traveled places. I think a 10 year-old would get a thrill out of:

(1) Zion National Park
-Angel's Landing
-The Narrows, from the TOP to the BOTTOM, not the other way. It is a 13 mile hike, but not strenuous. You're in the water for about 9-10 miles of the hike. After seeing Zion canyon from the bottom, I found it amazing to see the Virgin river from the top, where it is just a creek among meadows, and then to follow it down as it carves its way through the red rock, the walls gradually getting higher and higher.
-The Subway -- an incredibly fun hike; swimming, jumping, ducking, climbing, etc. It has it all.

(2) Bryce
-For sheer beauty, this one's hard to beat. A few nice hikes in the canyon too.
Good suggestions here, Levin.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You won't be doing any camping in Calf Creek. It is just a fun hike. It is three miles each way. Wear your swimsuit under your clothes of just be prepared to get wet. You will want to take a swim in the pool at the base of the falls.
Does the campground at Calf Creek no longer exist? It's been a number of years since I last went there.

It should be noted, Quis, that Calf Creek is best visited in the spring or better, the fall. The temperatures are better those times of year and in the fall, the water in the creek is warm. The summer, IMO, is too freakin' hot.

In fact, Southern Utah in the summer heat is stifling.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 AM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Does the campground at Calf Creek no longer exist? It's been a number of years since I last went there.

It should be noted, Quis, that Calf Creek is best visited in the spring or better, the fall. The temperatures are better those times of year and in the fall, the water in the creek is warm. The summer, IMO, is too freakin' hot.

In fact, Southern Utah in the summer heat is stifling.
It's still there.

Yes, Calf Creek is better during the spring or fall.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:51 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It's still there.

Yes, Calf Creek is better during the spring or fall.
That's good to hear. I camped there countless times with my family growing up and need to continue with that with my family.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
(1) Zion National Park
-Angel's Landing
Anyone can do Angel's Landing, but you will need backcountry permits for the other two. You can get them online, but for the Subway you will need to enter a lottery process. If you apply during March, you can get passes for June. Apply during April for July passes, etc. You can get more info at the zion np website.

The Subway is the best hike in Utah, IMO. It's fabulous.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some gorgeous hikes in Arches too. There are rules about where you can camp, but Arches really works well for having a base camp and then going out on various day hikes.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano
Default Thanks for all the help

All the suggestions were great. I now have several good starting points.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote