cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So I have to be more practical about things. I dont' want to have to have a supply of those canisters.
All kidding aside, this is a factor. They are not hard to find, but you do need to find them. Nothing is perfect, and I have been very happy with the superfly for how I use it. Of course, I only have to drive to he Sierra, I don't need to fly to Kathmandu. YMMV.

Last edited by creekster; 04-17-2008 at 11:59 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Customers who bought the Superfly:

Quote:
"I bought this stove about a year ago. It is a bad design. The arms that the pot rests on is screwed into the top of the stove and because it is a stove and it gets hot the screw and arms are messed up and are unstable it is also a little hard to turn the arms into open position because the heat destroyed the way it was attached. It did do an awesome job of heating and but the autostarter also messed up and does not work anymore"
Quote:
If you're going above 12000 ft or going to very cold weather region, keep in mind that butane canister stove does not work very well. But for most backpacking uses, it's fine. But this applies to all butane canister models not just Superfly. Only downside I can think of is the storage. Because it doesn't fold up (the wings folds up but that's it), it doesn't store very well in a backpack. If you have a 1L plus pot, it will fit in there but that means you have a butane canister that will have go elsewhere (I usually put my butane canister in the pot)."
Quote:
However, when using a wind screen with the stove, the added heat melted and destroyed the plastic parts of the piezo ignitor."
Quote:
The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).

MSR SUPERFLY

RATING: 3 STARS

MSR DRAGONFLY
RATING: 4 STARS

Last edited by MikeWaters; 04-17-2008 at 10:43 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Messy cannister, not self-lighting, you need the hose, and it is heavier. Apart from that, it's great.
1. canister is no more messy than yours. It's the stove line that must be drained of a few drops. Not hard to do.

2. Yes, you need a match. I'm fine with that, esp. since your igniter can break/melt, and mine can start at altitude in cold weather, and yours can't.

3. It is heavier.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread. Can we argue down vs. synthetic mummy bags next? After that we can argue about water filters.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #35
creekster

Quote:
Quote:
"I bought this stove about a year ago. It is a bad design. The arms that the pot rests on is screwed into the top of the stove and because it is a stove and it gets hot the screw and arms are messed up and are unstable it is also a little hard to turn the arms into open position because the heat destroyed the way it was attached. It did do an awesome job of heating and but the autostarter also messed up and does not work anymore"
This person is, how you say? oh yes, an idiot.

Quote:
Quote:
If you're going above 12000 ft or going to very cold weather region, keep in mind that butane canister stove does not work very well. But for most backpacking uses, it's fine. But this applies to all butane canister models not just Superfly. Only downside I can think of is the storage. Because it doesn't fold up (the wings folds up but that's it), it doesn't store very well in a backpack. If you have a 1L plus pot, it will fit in there but that means you have a butane canister that will have go elsewhere (I usually put my butane canister in the pot)."
I think it packs fine in the back pack. Look at it at the store, if you don't like it for this, then don't buy it. SPend a lot of time above 12,000 feet in texas do you? Oh wait, it must be those international desitnations you are always flying to.

Quote:
Quote:
However, when using a wind screen with the stove, the added heat melted and destroyed the plastic parts of the piezo ignitor."
Think abut what this guy is saying. Really, does this make any sense? WHat did he do, turn it into a rock oven?

Quote:
Quote:
The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).The only negatives I've found are the lack of windscreen (performance suffers in wind, but you can make your own of rocks, pads, etc.) and not igniting in cold weather (less than 30 degrees F).
The windscreen issue is true, but I have not found it to be very difficult to make a windscreen and I have only found it necessary in a very exposed location with a very stiff breeze.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #36
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1. canister is no more messy than yours. It's the stove line that must be drained of a few drops. Not hard to do.

2. Yes, you need a match. I'm fine with that, esp. since your igniter can break/melt, and mine can start at altitude in cold weather, and yours can't.

3. It is heavier.

You sure are sensitive.

1. It is too messier. You have to fill it, empty it and keep it clean. You don't need to do any of this wiht SF. Yours may not be difficult, but with SF it is not even necessary. Plus, draining the hose is partof theprocess of using youre cannister and it is messier. A few drops of butane gives you a pleasing aroma all day.

2. The SF also starts with a match any time you need it to. But for those times you are below 12k feet and the temp is above 30 degrees or so, the one button start is very convenient and cool.

3. Is it heavier? Including all the equipment such as the hose and the oh-so-important windscreen? Perhaps, but I find it hard to believe, although i haven't looked at that to be honest.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #37
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This is a great thread. Can we argue down vs. synthetic mummy bags next? After that we can argue about water filters.

ANy time buddy. Pick a side and Ill let you know if you picked correctly. (first hint: synthetic)
Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
ANy time buddy. Pick a side and Ill let you know if you picked correctly. (first hint: synthetic)
Bag: down
Filter: ceramic
Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #39
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Bag: down
Filter: ceramic

You're just pulling my leg. To tell you the truth, I never camp above 12,000 feet so maybe you shoudl ask Mike.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
You're just pulling my leg. To tell you the truth, I never camp above 12,000 feet so maybe you shoudl ask Mike.
No, I am serious. I like the small size and light weight of down bags. Makes up for the extra wt resulting from that "clunky" Coleman stove, I suppose.

You don't like ceramic filters?