cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bee update

1) same number of bees as when I first started
2) a ton of capped brood in my hive, meaning I expect a significant increase in population very shortly
3) new queen is doing fine
4) more hive beetles than before.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
2) a ton of capped brood in my hive, meaning I expect a significant increase in population very shortly
Isn't there something you can do to thwart the hive beetle infestation?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Mike, you've been on a roll here. Why don't you say something disparaging about the queen?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Isn't there something you can do to thwart the hive beetle infestation?
Yes. I can make a homemade trap for them. But I need to do some research and probaby buy a soldering gun, so it is going to have to wait.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Yes. I can make a homemade trap for them. But I need to do some research and probaby buy a soldering gun, so it is going to have to wait.
Interesting, well let us know how that works out once you get it made.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Mike, you've been on a roll here. Why don't you say something disparaging about the queen?
Bees (or Deseret) are the Mormons of the insect world. They never question their leader.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Bees (or Deseret) are the Mormons of the insect world. They never question their leader.
Except bees have female not male leaders. Beehives are not paternalistic institutions. So I expected Waters to say something nasty about the queen like she seemed more a dude than a chick.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-06-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Bees are great at illustrating the order of things. The female lays all the eggs. Her daughters do all the work including gathering nectar and pollen, making the wax and feeding the babies.

The males (drones) hang out, eat, and fly out of the hive to mate. If they fail to mate, they come back, hang out on the couch, fart and watch TV. If they do succeed in mating a female high in the air, they die in the process.

Meaning their entire lives are happy, especially the end.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Bees are great at illustrating the order of things. The female lays all the eggs. Her daughters do all the work including gathering nectar and pollen, making the wax and feeding the babies.

The males (drones) hang out, eat, and fly out of the hive to mate. If they fail to mate, they come back, hang out on the couch, fart and watch TV. If they do succeed in mating a female high in the air, they die in the process.

Meaning their entire lives are happy, especially the end.
LOL. For those of us with northern European ancestry, this is how Tacitus described our forebears in the Germania. I've read similar discriptions of other agrarian societies. It's not much different now.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Garrison Keillor, in his The Book of Guys, wrote:

"We go around with a sense that our gender peaked in the eighteenth century. The Kings, the Court, the Church, Kighthood, Guilds--all of that worked for guys: in paintings by the Old Masters, guys looked good, whether boy or burgher, hearty and flush, good-humored, bold, prosperous, Guys at Their Best. After that, guys vanished from art, except for troubled self-portraits. Now our gender supplies all the major criminals and all the major candidates for high office; the female gender supplies the goddesses of light and mercy. What went wrong?"

"They (women) can't take over the world fast enough for me. I mean that. Let them run everything. They should take over business and government and manage society and finance and let guys be artists and hoboes."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote