cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who's the cook in your house?

My wife is perfect in every way but two. She is a professional, an great family budgeteer, an incredible mother, a clean freak, and is amazing at almost everything she attempts. But she can't iron or cook. Fortunately, these are two things I enjoy. On my mission I found ironing to be a great time to clear my head and I still rely on that daily time to plan.

As for cooking, my wife simply doesn't like it. Because of this she puts no effort into cooking and defers to me, which I don't mind a bit. Although I am by no means a good cook, I think it's a lot of fun. I usually do about 70% of the cooking in our house. Is anybody else in a similar situation?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I do about the same percentage of cooking, housecleaning and childcare in my house. However, I have been a gigolo for 7 years+ now,( gigolo defined as a man who derives more than half of his income from a woman or women) so it is not any big deal. When I am on the job market in about six months, I am hoping that there will be a great big reversal. The house will be a lot cleaner, the food tastier, and the children not as screwed up.

I have come to discover that I like cooking so I will probably do that quite a bit after the changeover.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife does most of the cooking but I'm a better cook. Not because she can't cook, but because I follow recipes better than she does.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Seeing as I cook for myself, I am.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I cook Sunday dinner every week, rain or shine. Other than that, we kind of take turns, depending on what is going on each day. She proabably does 60-70% of the weeknight dinners.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

My wife cooks about 90% of the time, maybe more. When I cook it is usually breakfast, regardless of the time of day.

It's something that she really enjoys, most of the time, so who am I to take that away from her.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
My wife is perfect in every way but two. She is a professional, an great family budgeteer, an incredible mother, a clean freak, and is amazing at almost everything she attempts. But she can't iron or cook. Fortunately, these are two things I enjoy. On my mission I found ironing to be a great time to clear my head and I still rely on that daily time to plan.

As for cooking, my wife simply doesn't like it. Because of this she puts no effort into cooking and defers to me, which I don't mind a bit. Although I am by no means a good cook, I think it's a lot of fun. I usually do about 70% of the cooking in our house. Is anybody else in a similar situation?
Sounds like we married the same person.

I don't iron either though. I but clothes based on low maintenance and use dry cleaners.

I think you have to love food to be a good cook. I love food, she doesn't. She's a stay at home mom and will cook err prepare a meal most weekdays. I cook on the weekends. I love cooking our main Sunday meal. Roasts, turkeys, and a lot of Asian food.

OK she's not that bad. She has a few meals she takes pride in and does a great job with it. The problem is the motivation. And I don't blame her. I'd probably manage it the same way.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Sounds like we married the same person.

I don't iron either though. I but clothes based on low maintenance and use dry cleaners.

I think you have to love food to be a good cook. I love food, she doesn't. She's a stay at home mom and will cook err prepare a meal most weekdays. I cook on the weekends. I love cooking our main Sunday meal. Roasts, turkeys, and a lot of Asian food.

OK she's not that bad. She has a few meals she takes pride in and does a great job with it. The problem is the motivation. And I don't blame her. I'd probably manage it the same way.
Ironing? What is that? Neither my wife nor I have ever heard of that
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Ironing? What is that? Neither my wife nor I have ever heard of that
It's what a mission companion I had did to his socks.

Dang, I was glad to get transferred the next month.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's what a mission companion I had did to his socks.

Dang, I was glad to get transferred the next month.
It's not that weird. If I'm already ironing and it's cold outside, I like to do a once over with the iron on my socks. That way they're nice and toasty when I put them on. Give it a try some time.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote