cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

What a concert. My hat is off to the SF symphony and the symphony chorus. Our seats were not ideal, being too close to the stage, leaving the sound somewhat unbalanced (we were on the cello/bass side of the orchestra) but it offered certain advantages. We were close enough to hear the bows bite into the strings as they were drawn across the instruments, and to see the music on the stands and to hear the conductor as he puffed his cheeks and exuberantly led the orchestra through what can only be described as an inspired rendition.

There can be no question that I was primed to like the performance, but even accounting for that, I think it would be hard to find much at fault here. The Symphony chorus was superb, absolutely stunning. When they broke into the ode to joy chorus at fortissimo it was a spine tingling moment. Those of you familiar with the last movement may know of the brief pause like interlude where Beethoven echoes the theme first in major, then pauses and again in minor and then to the tonic before the chorus leads out in full voiced excitement. I think there are few more remarkable moments in all of music than those few measures. Absolutely stunning. And, to think he composed this after he had become deaf.

IF you have the chance to hear it live, you should do so.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Our seats were not ideal, being too close to the stage,
Ok Creekster we get it, you're a fabulously wealthy attorney.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Ok Creekster we get it, you're a fabulously wealthy attorney.
not true; the seats in the first 2 or 3 rows are among the least desireable and least expensive in the whole place. We don't have a subscription and this concert was sold out but for the least wanted seats. Seriously, our ticket prices were literally one third or less than those right behind us.

I apologize if this sounded like bragging. It was not intended to be. I really enjoyed the concret and the great thing is the prices are pretty affordable for the types of seats we purchased. I was just looking for the advantages. We truly did sacrifice balanced sound, but I choose not to dwell on it.

Last edited by creekster; 09-12-2008 at 02:58 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I apologize if this sounded like bragging, but let's face it, I am a fabulously wealthy attorney.
You're not helping your case creek.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I apologize if this sounded like bragging. It was not intended to be. I really enjoyed the concret and the great thing is the prices are pretty affordable for the types of seats we purchased. I was just looking for the advantages. We truly did sacrifice balanced sound, but I choose not to dwell on it.
creekster, my old friend, I really enjoy your posts, although some here do not share my sentiment. but I must say that your posts about money are getting old.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
creekster, my old friend, I really enjoy your posts, although some here do not share my sentiment. but I must say that your posts about money are getting old.
Touche, in a triple sort of way.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I apologize if this sounded like bragging but when you have money you have money and there's really no need to hide the fact is there?
I was just messing with you Creekster. Well, that and I'm insanely jealous that you can see such an event so close to home. Let's just say that there's nothing comparable here. I'd have to drive the 3 hours to the Bay Area and see it in the same place you did.

Edit:Oops and I see that YOhio already did this joke and so I look like a hack. Oh well, what's new?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know this may be looked down on by both those who hate classical music and those who are true fans (for different reasons) but I am incredibly excited to go hear a performance of Beethoven's Ninth tomorrow with a full symphony and chorus. I think it is one of the more sublime masterpieces given to man from God (and yes, I believe that) and even though I have heard it many times, seeing it and hearing it live and well-performed is a transcendent experience. I am jazzed about this.

To show my nerdiness I am going to bring the score and follow along at parts, although at the climax you must do nothing but listen and let the power of the performance wash over you like waves at the beach.
That is awesome. Who's performing? Did you already say?

True story, related to me by my son's teacher: When my son was in the first grade, the teacher asked the kids to each name their favorite song so she could write them on the board. All the kids were like "Kelly Clarkson" and whatever. And my little one goes, "Beethoven number nine." The teacher was awfully surprised, so much so that she called to tell me. I was so proud.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
True story, related to me by my son's teacher: When my son was in the first grade, the teacher asked the kids to each name their favorite song so she could write them on the board. All the kids were like "Kelly Clarkson" and whatever. And my little one goes, "Beethoven number nine." The teacher was awfully surprised, so much so that she called to tell me. I was so proud.
Yawn. Is there anything more boring than a parent telling stories of their children?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Yawn. Is there anything more boring than a parent telling stories of their children?
It works for Sarah Palin.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote