cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The Church went through an era of really dark media in the 70s.....many of the commercials and short films focused on very negative things...family members dying, old people being alone, etc....

There is one film that is famous in the mission field.....a small boy loves his mom, she was his best friend, etc...one day he comes home from school, there is an ambulance in front of his house....he goes inside. His mom is there on her unexpected deathbed. She dies right in front of him. Then we are treated to a montage of single-father shots...the dad cooking dinner for the kids, the dad getting the kids ready...in all of them the mom is conspicuously absent.

At this point in the film, everyone in the audience is always crying. At the very end of the filmstrip, there is an announcement that everything is ok because Families are Forever. The filmstrip ends and we would tell everyone that they were crying because they felt the Spirit....even though for the 12 or so minutes of filmstrip, the only gospel message was presented in the final minute or so, well after everyone was already crying.

I think missionaries have since stopped using that filmstrip.
Is that where they start playing I will build you a rainbow?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Yes, that is the one.

Also, I remember the filmstrip where the person falls out of the bus and dies.

And the last leaf.

And the one where the old woman (i think?) kept going to the mailbox every single day but nobody ever wrote her any letters, so she was all lonely and depressed.

There was also this mormon ad that featured kids doing really good things, but then the jerky parents would yell at them about a non-related issue and discourage the kids. One kids runs into the house and yells that he got an A and the dad yells at him for slamming the door. A girl comes home and is proud that she did the grocery shopping and the mom says, "I hope you remembered to get everything." At the end of the commercial, the scenarios are re-run with appropriate responses. The kid slams the door in excitement, but this time the dad says, "HEY! Bring it here, Let's see it!"

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Was any polling done to see which approach (death or happiness) moved more product?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Was any polling done to see which approach (death or happiness) moved more product?
I think the Church moved away from that and then in the 80s launched into the era of grand one-hour movies, in the spirit of the After School Specials we used to see growing up as kids.

One of them had a pair of fairly hot sister missionaries and the Sgt from CHiPs.

Another one had a missionary flying home from his mission talking to the guy in the seat next to him on the airplane. I loved that movie....at the end of it, the missionary de-planes and meets his family. The guy he was talking to approaches the missionary, thanks him, and gives him his business card, asking him to call and teach him more. Truthfully, that isnt the part I care about. The best part is a bit of a gaffe. It was filmed at the SLC airport and there must have been a short budget for extras. During the final airport scene, there is a guy who gets off the plane...he is wearing a blue-striped rugby shirt. Throughout the final scenes, you can see him walking around in the backround, over and over, with different people. I always had to bite my lip to keep from laughing at that part when we showed that movie.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yes, that is the one.

Also, I remember the filmstrip where the person falls out of the bus and dies.

And the last leaf.

And the one where the old woman (i think?) kept going to the mailbox every single day but nobody ever wrote her any letters, so she was all lonely and depressed.

There was also this mormon ad that featured kids doing really good things, but then the jerky parents would yell at them about a non-related issue and discourage the kids. One kids runs into the house and yells that he got an A and the dad yells at him for slamming the door. A girl comes home and is proud that she did the grocery shopping and the mom says, "I hope you remembered to get everything." At the end of the commercial, the scenarios are re-run with appropriate responses. The kid slams the door in excitement, but this time the dad says, "HEY! Bring it here, Let's see it!"
How about the all time classic The Cipher in the Snow?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

It's a bassoon...you know kinda like a balloon but with two s's instead of l's.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This song is responsible for me playing the guitar. Before my mission I only played keys and woodwinds. On my misison I was in an area where our DL had 'permission' to use a loaner guitar from a member to perfrom "I'll build you a rainbow" discussions. If you had a 'gator' you would call the DL and he would pop in with comp and do a live version of the song/story. It wasn't any better than the filmstrip, but it did allow him to play the guitar. He was a very good guitarist, btw. So one week I was on splits with him for a day or two and we did about three or four of these discussions, each of them moving in their own unique way. In between, he showed me how to paly a few chords and there you have it.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How about the all time classic The Cipher in the Snow?
I think this is the one DDD is talking about when he mentions the person getting off the bus and dropping dead.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
It's a bassoon...you know kinda like a balloon but with two s's instead of l's.
That's the guy who later went on to be Marty McFly's older brother Dave.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I think this is the one DDD is talking about when he mentions the person getting off the bus and dropping dead.
Yes, that is the one.

I remember finding that one to be very depressing.

More are coming back to me......does anyone remember the one that features all these sad people that are going through some sort of tragedy......one of them is a middle aged woman and she says, "I lost my son today...he was so young..." That same line later resurfaced in the narrative portion of some LDS song...."never a better hero" or something like that.