cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #31
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes View Post
I am been the Gospel Doctrine Teacher for 3 years. I start my own class, call on who gives prayers, and always teach sick because I hate cold call begging for someone to teach in my place last minute. I was told when I got the calling to find my own subsitutes. Somehow each year a manual is placed in my hand with a schedule glued behind the front cover.

Honest questions:
Can someone please tell me what does the SS Pres. and his counselors do?
Really nothing. When my husband got a calling in the SS presidency in our last ward the first thing he said when we got out of the building was "money calling" I was like huh? And then realized he was happy because he would have to do nothing.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #32
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Worst calling:

Scout Master.

Next worst:

WML.

Best calling:

CTR 8 teacher.
Why do you say that CTR 8 is the best? That's my calling now, and although it's far from the worst (and indeed all that you guys discuss as being the worst is off limits to women anyway), I'm not really loving it. I think I"m just too tired to be a good primary teacher.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #33
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Why do you say that CTR 8 is the best? That's my calling now, and although it's far from the worst (and indeed all that you guys discuss as being the worst is off limits to women anyway), I'm not really loving it. I think I"m just too tired to be a good primary teacher.
I liked it because I got to help the kids prepare for baptism by manipulation through candy. The sugar rush effectively killed any sense to reason, if an 8 year old is capable of any to begin with.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #34
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I liked it because I got to help the kids prepare for baptism by manipulation through candy. The sugar rush effectively killed any sense to reason, if an 8 year old is capable of any to begin with.
Hmm. . . last year I did give candy, but then they just starting feeling so entitled that it annoyed me. So this year, I don't give candy. I mainly just try to get them to keep sitting in their chairs and watch as they gradually slide into "too cool" for primary, which must be what the age of accountability is really about.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

We are nursery workers. My wife and I. We have 12 kids in our class, which is one of 6 nursery classes with between 12 and 15 kids. We by far have the most active class and never have less than 10 kids there. So it can be quite the challenge. Sometimes I feel like I miss out on getting my spiritual fix during church but I do get snacks which makes up for it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #36
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Hmm. . . last year I did give candy, but then they just starting feeling so entitled that it annoyed me. So this year, I don't give candy. I mainly just try to get them to keep sitting in their chairs and watch as they gradually slide into "too cool" for primary, which must be what the age of accountability is really about.
I was being sarcastic with my post by channeling my inner SU. But I really did enjoy being a part of the kids' baptism and helping them prepare for that milestone.

I think the 11 year old Blazers and Merrie Miss class are the most difficult. They're the ones with the too cool for primary attitude. Granted that is an awkward age, too old for primary, not old enough for YM/YW.

My friend's mother had taught seminary to a rowdy bunch. When her frustration was too much she finally baked them a huge cake and took it them. The kids were all excited. When they were all seated she picked up the cake and chucked it into the trash. The kids were shocked. She told them that the cake represented her lessons. She spends a lot of time preparing them and when they misbehave it's like them throwing it in the trash. She then walked out of the classroom and went home leaving the kids there for 45 minutes to think about it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #37
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The years I taught it, I had my sons go through it, and I liked the excitement the kids show for baptism. My kids were all prepared, knew the basics, were reading their scriptures, and behaved extraordinarily well in class. I enjoyed attending their baptisms, and being able to share it with them.

I brought candy and we did hangman, nature trips and even examined the narratives. It was a great time.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post

My friend's mother had taught seminary to a rowdy bunch. When her frustration was too much she finally baked them a huge cake and took it them. The kids were all excited. When they were all seated she picked up the cake and chucked it into the trash. The kids were shocked. She told them that the cake represented her lessons. She spends a lot of time preparing them and when they misbehave it's like them throwing it in the trash. She then walked out of the classroom and went home leaving the kids there for 45 minutes to think about it.
I bet they ate the cake right out of the trash can while she was gone.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I babysit ungrateful snots.

This applies beyond just my calling in church.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #40
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Worst calling:

Scout Master.

Next worst:

WML.

Best calling:

CTR 8 teacher.
Oh, no, my friend, Soutmaster is the best calling in the Church. By far.