cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road
Default Title IX's Faulty Assumption

This article about James Madison dropping certain male sports ends with the following:

Quote:
Chapman says she researched the law and its regulations last fall and came to her position.

"It's nothing against women at all," she says. "I'm a female athlete — and I love to compete. At the same time, Title IX now is almost reverse discrimination."

Jocelyn Samuels, a vice president of the National Women's Law Center, rejects that argument. Opportunities for men and boys have increased in the Title IX era, she says.

Even if sports such as wrestling have lost ground, she says, that's legally irrelevant: "What Title IX demands is equality as measured by individual participation."
My biggest problem with Title IX is that demanding "equality as measured by individual participation" assumes that men and women are equally interested in all aspects of athletics/sports. Why can't the man-haters just accept the fact that women and men are different?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
My biggest problem with Title IX is that demanding "equality as measured by individual participation" assumes that men and women are equally interested in all aspects of athletics/sports. Why can't the man-haters just accept the fact that women and men are different?
Well said...well said.

I'm in the process of raising 3 daughters. Have coached teams they've played in, etc. I grew up a sporting fool...was competitive in everything I played.

I believe in what you say, in that I personally feel that men & women are NOT equally interested in sports.

There are some GREAT female sports fans, competitive athlete etc. But on the whole, I think there is a vast difference in interest level between the sexes.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Even worse than men's sports being cut in order to give an equal number of athletic scholarships to women is that if a women's team is unable to have enough interest to have a team and the school has to get rid of it, the school has to eliminate the same number of men's athletic scholarships.

Title IX is all about providing the same number of scholarships and it's a farce. The only thing that is worse for college sports than Title IX is the BCS.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
This article about James Madison dropping certain male sports ends with the following:

I agree with what you are saying on this. There are actually other ways to comply with Title IX other than the proportionality rule. Problem is those are all subjective standards and no University is going to take the chance to comply under the subjective standard.

Title IX is a joke.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

I hate Title IX.

I just get pissed thinking about it.

can't comment rationally.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I hate Title IX.

I just get pissed thinking about it.

can't comment rationally.
It sucks away valuable funds from the mens programs that actually produce profits to use on women's sports that operate in the red. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
It sucks away valuable funds from the mens programs that actually produce profits to use on women's sports that operate in the red. Why would anyone think that's a good idea?
It is also not about equality or equal opportunity. It has been the death of olympic sports in this nation.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
It is also not about equality or equal opportunity. It has been the death of olympic sports in this nation.
But we have the WNBA
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
But we have the WNBA
Oh, in THAT case . . .
Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBritches View Post
What is wrong with Title IX? It encourages women to take care of their bodies and look fit and strong. I rather pay to see fit looking women play sports than any other way that some people pay to see fit looking women (some bars and private clubs). If you ask me, it is definitely worth the price.
Does the "cream rising to the top" metaphor apply here? I think it does.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote