cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 05-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBritches View Post
The cream rises to the top everywhere, but you have to give it the chance. Title IX gives woman's cream better chance to rise to the top and reach its potential.
Can somebody tell me what that means?

I can't tell if it's sexist or obscene.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Can somebody tell me what that means?

I can't tell if it's sexist or obscene.

Yes, it is.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I didn't mean obscene double entender if that is what you mean. But I suspect myboynoah might have that in mind, which is why I called him out on metaphor the other day. But I am not the metaphor police, a hat that doesn't fit my head.
I apologize. I was a bad boy, and now I've probably offended a librarian superhero. Not a good position to be in.

DB, I thought you were being clever and so I responded in kind. Obviously I misjudged you.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
DB, I thought you were being clever and so I responded in kind. Obviously I misjudged you.
I'm not sure why, but that made me LOL.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
I didn't mean obscene double entender if that is what you mean. But I suspect myboynoah might have that in mind, which is why I called him out on metaphor the other day. But I am not the metaphor police, a hat that doesn't fit my head. By cream I just mean that women can achieve great things in sports if they have the chance. Lots of girls are cream and they don't even know it, but title IX creates afterschool programs where they learn more about themselves and their potential. In case you haven't noticed, the U.S. has a problem with childhood obesity, so every little bit helps. If Title IX stops a girl from getting obese, then it is worth something. But how much?
It may stop a girl from getting obese. But in doing so, how many opportunities for boys are being dropped? At what point is the trade-off worth it?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:29 AM   #16
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I don't think equality of opportunity is such a bad value to have, especially if it makes fit looking women the norm and solves some of the obesity in our nation's women.
wow.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 AM   #17
All-American

Quote:
It may surprise some, but boys and girls are different, and in more ways than three. For starters, boys exercise more than girls, who for various reasons, play with dolls too much. I think it is mostly social, which is why title IX is really good for girls. Helps them to consider choices that society might not make so obvious. There are more important things than making the most money for sports. I don't think equality of opportunity is such a bad value to have, especially if it makes fit looking women the norm and solves some of the obesity in our nation's women. Plus when these women become mothers, they can teach their daughters to play less with dolls and play more with balls, so title IX will become less important and less costly. And finally, girl sports are fun to watch, just as much as boy sports. But as a nation we need to learn more about them, so title IX makes us learn that. And if title IX is a mistake, at least it is a mistake with the best intentions. We all make mistakes. I rather make this kind of mistake then a greedy mistake.
Girl sports are fun to watch? As fun as boys sports? Clearly you don't watch much of sports.

Look, I'm all for equality of opportunity, but it's no victory if you aid the obesity problem among one gender by doubly exaserbating it among the other.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:08 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It may surprise some, but boys and girls are different, and in more ways than three. For starters, boys exercise more than girls, who for various reasons, play with dolls too much. I think it is mostly social, which is why title IX is really good for girls. Helps them to consider choices that society might not make so obvious. There are more important things than making the most money for sports. I don't think equality of opportunity is such a bad value to have, especially if it makes fit looking women the norm and solves some of the obesity in our nation's women. Plus when these women become mothers, they can teach their daughters to play less with dolls and play more with balls, so title IX will become less important and less costly. And finally, girl sports are fun to watch, just as much as boy sports. But as a nation we need to learn more about them, so title IX makes us learn that. And if title IX is a mistake, at least it is a mistake with the best intentions. We all make mistakes. I rather make this kind of mistake then a greedy mistake.
It may surprise you, but women's athletics are nothing but a financial black hole. This is an article from 5 years ago, but it proves just that:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n10837045

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:29 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It may be a costly mistake. Some investment end up that way. It may also be the next Google. There are way worse ways to gamble your money than building up women's sports. At least at the end of the gamble you have something to show for it. A mature women's sports program. Women are getting more power. In colleges right now, the numbers of women compared to men are increasing at an alarming rate. Pretty soon women will be everywhere, and we will be glad to have a good sports program for them, and they will make money. That is just my prediction, but the trajectory is going in that direction.
No, you're wrong. Women's sports will always be a complete waste of money. And college men will always suffer because of it as well.

Title IX started out with the right idea, but when it comes to sports, it's time to get rid of it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:01 AM   #20
All-American

Quote:
interesting article. I guess we can think of women's sports in a few different ways. It is an undertapped market that will swell with the growing number of women in college and professions. It is therefore an investment, that may lose money now, but will probably make a lot of money in the near future. So it is an entrepreneurial enterprise. If it never pays off, it still is a win, because of what it does for women. And if it does become financially good, then I won't be surprised.
"What it does for women" comes at the expense of men's sports, which bear a cost that is greater than the benefit to the women. That is NOT equality. What's more, it is choking off the source of its own support, effectively engaging in cannibalism.