cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Revamping Sunday School

What if adult SS was overhauled so that:

There was a class for those who like to ask tough questions, value accurate history, and are faithfully heterodox.

There was a class for those who want their materials and discussions to repeat the usual issues and questions. This class would be like most GD classes are today.

There was a class for new converts that would have the goal of advancing members to one of the other classes within a prescribed time period. This class would be like GE, but with more structure.

There was a class for those who want to emphasize issues of being married and being parents.

Each class would continue to use the standard works on a rotating basis (as is done now), but with class-appropriate emphases. Adults could choose which class to attend (assuming that new converts have passed GE).

Classes in teacher development, family history, and so on could be offered as local leadership saw fit. Other classes could be conducted if there was a need.

And why not have the SS presidency be comprised of people who are actually skilled teachers? And why not have them teach the teacher development class as needed? Or heaven forbid, have them teach the classes? You could have a SS president who would choose to teach one of the classes and who would call assistants to teach the others.

OTOH, we could let SS die as it is doing now, and concede that any calling to the SS Presidency is for the most part a complete joke.

Just brainstorming here. Please join me.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-31-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

How many wards have instructors that are both skilled enough and learn-ed enough to teach such a class and also nimble enough to keep the discussion from straying into a morass of personal doctrine?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

When my mom was a missionary, she was extra-ordinarily effective, per my father. In fact, she was regarded as somewhat of a legend, even to this day.

So she was bringing dozens of investigators to a ward/branch, and was not satisfied with the sunday school teacher, which she considered to be the most critical calling as pertaining to investigators. So she went to the Bishop/BP and asked for a replacement, which she got.

We have a pretty good SS teacher in my ward, in the sense that he is devoted and somewhat entertaining. But he doesn't involve the audience very much, and I find myself bored to tears. So I don't attend anymore. I attend the family history library instead.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How many wards have instructors that are both skilled enough and learn-ed enough to teach such a class and also nimble enough to keep the discussion from straying into a morass of personal doctrine?
Every ward I have been in has had more than one such person. They are there, if a bit on the sly. That High Priest with four shelves of LDS books is your man. That RS sister who teaches English at the local college is your woman.

Wards that don't have someone qualified, or don't have interest in the class, can just not offer it. Maybe they would offer a GD class for English as a Second Language, or a missionary-oriented class...

What I'm trying to do is have the class structure meet people's needs better than it does now.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 12-31-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Whom the Lord calls the Lord qualifies, right?

You certainly think the Lord can make the Bishop or EQ president man enough for their mantle and stewardship, why not the SS teachers?

Will you mullahs make up your minds where your faith directs you.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

If SS is revamped, please post here and let me know.

I have not attended SS regularly in years. Currently, I use the second hour to go over my lesson for 3rd hour or even go into Nursery and play with my kids.

In the past, I have used the second hour to conduct presidency meetings or to visit with friends in the foyer and talk about football.

I will go every now and then, but then am usually quickly reminded why I never go.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Whom the Lord calls the Lord qualifies, right?

You certainly think the Lord can make the Bishop or EQ president man enough for their mantle and stewardship, why not the SS teachers?

Will you mullahs make up your minds where your faith directs you.
Well, what SEIQ suggests is currently outside the realm of the church's SS structure, so I'm not sure it really applies. If the church designates such a class to be taught, then maybe there will be a couple of extra mantles handed out.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Well, what SEIQ suggests is currently outside the realm of the church's SS structure, so I'm not sure it really applies. If the church designates such a class to be taught, then maybe there will be a couple of extra mantles handed out.
"It makes a great difference to your figure and to your thought, whether your foot is advancing or receding. Conservatism never puts the foot forward, in the hour when it does that it is not establishment, but reform."

--Emerson

Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The problkem for our ward, at least, is that many of the peple that make the best SS instructors also make good leaders. As I think of the 2 or 3 best gospel doctrine instructors in our ward (IMO) they are now serving elsewhere; high council, bishopric, RS president. Hard to give thema lifetime calling in SS. OTOH, I cetainly liek the idea. Over time staffing would be difficult, however.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The problkem for our ward, at least, is that many of the peple that make the best SS instructors also make good leaders. As I think of the 2 or 3 best gospel doctrine instructors in our ward (IMO) they are now serving elsewhere; high council, bishopric, RS president. Hard to give thema lifetime calling in SS. OTOH, I cetainly liek the idea. Over time staffing would be difficult, however.
Staffing the "heterodox" class wouldn't be a problem with a first class manual. More than a few students would learn how to teach the class by being in the class.

I don't think lifetime, or even longterm callings would be necessary. People would come out of the woodwork eager to teach such a class.