cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #41
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
No doubt. There are girls who would consider it and parents who would encourage it. I think that is a small minority though in the church.

I do know of a case not anywhere like this, but where a church authority figure in his 50's told a girl in a single ward 30's that God had revealed they were to be married. She was elated because this guy was a very respected Stake President. His wife had passed away.

Girls who know her says she is constantly telling them she is miserable.
My sister, who is nearing 40 and has yet to marry, might just jump at that offer as well.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #42
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
My sister, who is nearing 40 and has yet to marry, might just jump at that offer as well.

I am not saying it wouldn't be a good thing. However, I would advise anyone in that situation to date for a while and not just jump at the chance to marry a righteous man.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #43
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yea, so much for Jacob's reason for plural marriage being to raise up seed (also repeated in DC 132).

But we also have Eliza R. Snow's assurances that Joseph was not a celibate husband in name only and the account of Emma catching Joseph in the barn with Fanny Alger.

The condom appeared sometime in the 17th century, initially made of a length of animal intestine. Maybe Joseph practiced safe sex?
Does the lack of polygamous offspring from Joseph's relationships really bear any relevance?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #44
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am not saying it wouldn't be a good thing. However, I would advise anyone in that situation to date for a while and not just jump at the chance to marry a righteous man.
lol - as would I. I was (mostly) joking...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #45
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
So a woman could claim rape if she was talked into sex?
Isn't that why Warren Jeffs is in prison right now?

Last edited by SteelBlue; 04-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #46
Spaz

Quote:
Yea, so much for Jacob's reason for plural marriage being to raise up seed (also repeated in DC 132).

But we also have Eliza R. Snow's assurances that Joseph was not a celibate husband in name only and the account of Emma catching Joseph in the barn with Fanny Alger.

The condom appeared sometime in the 17th century, initially made of a length of animal intestine. Maybe Joseph practiced safe sex?
Actually, if I remember my 'history of sex' aired on the History Channel correctly, the Egyptians used a form of condom thousands of years ago.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, just thought I'd share.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #47
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
If she's underaged. Isn't that why Warren Jeff's is in prison right now?
Steel - I decided to not respond to Ex's posts, as they weren't adding anything of value to the thread.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #48
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading about JS's wives and one of them on her deathbed told her daughter that she (the daughter) was actually Joseph's daughter. I can't remember off the top of my head which wife but I think I read it on that wivesofjosephsmith.org site.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #49
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The condom appeared sometime in the 17th century, initially made of a length of animal intestine.
"I'll take some of those cow intestines, that dog intestine was a little tight".

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

33+ wives and no proof of kids. We know he wasn't shooting blanks, based on Emma's pregnancies.

Could he have used a super-efficient birth control method? How common were condoms in the American frontier? Seems sort of doubtful.

Maybe he didn't have relations with most of them.

Maybe he didn't have relations very often, and by chance, did not produce off-spring.

Perhaps activity occurred, but not the sort that leads to pregnancy.

I don't know what the answer is....but no proven descendants is the elephant in the room, I think.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote