cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #81
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not discouraged and I didn't say it was impossible. I'm suggesting there other more effective things that could be done to incorporate singles more meaningfully than trying to change the attitudes and behavior of millions of people through over-the-pulpit speeches.

Maybe you remember Elder Ballard giving basically the same talk twice in successive General Conferences, when after 6 months he found that little of the advice given in his first go-around was being taken seriously? And that was by ward councils and PECs ... the kind of folks you'd think would pay heed.

We could have a textbook-perfect talk on how to approach singles every single Stake Conference, and it will yield little if its not followed up with meaningful program/policy change. The odd thing here is, no one seems to be satisfied with how it is, but no one seems to have any good ideas to fix it.

Maybe it's because it's a very difficult problem with no easy or simple answers and the church isn't doing as bad as we think it is. I know for a fact that the state of single adults, especially those in the 18-30 bracket, is of constant and chief concern to the First Presidency.
You're right it is a difficult situation, and I'm certain that the church leadership is pretty worried about it, although one would think that based on the inactivity rates of the single members 31+ that would be an area of primary concern...but perhaps not. The bishop out here flatly refused to enforce the age restrictions on the singles ward until the church provided a place for the older singles to go. That's when they created what I personally call the hybrid ward, where all the singles in the stake that turn 31 get shuttled into the same family ward. They hold regular callings, interact with the families, but they still have separate activities just for the single people like FHE, and linger longer. The single people also go to the regular ward activities, and it works out pretty well. It took a little while for the ward to adjust, but really on the whole it seems to be working out very well for them.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #82
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
You're right it is a difficult situation, and I'm certain that the church leadership is pretty worried about it, although one would think that based on the inactivity rates of the single members 31+ that would be an area of primary concern...but perhaps not. The bishop out here flatly refused to enforce the age restrictions on the singles ward until the church provided a place for the older singles to go. That's when they created what I personally call the hybrid ward, where all the singles in the stake that turn 31 get shuttled into the same family ward. They hold regular callings, interact with the families, but they still have separate activities just for the single people like FHE, and linger longer. The single people also go to the regular ward activities, and it works out pretty well. It took a little while for the ward to adjust, but really on the whole it seems to be working out very well for them.
Kudos to that bishop, IMO. Drawing the age line at 30 has become outdated. There is no reason for it that makes any sense. If you want to protect the younger girls then create college age wards for 18-24. Then have a ward for 25-35 or 25-40 or so. Even better, have overlapping ages between the younger and older wards and give people their choice. (Free agency, what a novel concept). You could have a ward for 18-30 and then another one next to it for ages 26-40, or something like that. Let people in their late 20s go where they feel is the best fit for them.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote