cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 AM   #41
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker: MikeWaters

Han Solo: goatnapper

Princess Leia: Barbara Gordon

Jabba the Hut: Cougjunkie
So does this mean Mike's going to freeze Goatnap in carbonite and I get to break into Junkie's place to rescue him?
cool.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #42
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Pretty good analysis. Especially the "needlenecked wankers." The problem is, I've never heard a so-called intellectual say, "we really need to get these damned simple-faith types out of the church." Sure, the arrogance comes from both sides, but IMO, the exclusion does not. A lot of these people seem to just want to be able to state an opinion without fear of reprisal from the "orthodox" crowd.

BTW, I think the "intellectual / non-intellectual" division is artificial and contrived. These issues are too complicated to lump everyone into one group or the other. But, that kind of thinking probably makes me an "intellectual."
Don't get the idea I want yer kind out of the church, my mother's maiden name is Arrington and I got connections to one of the first academics who really got under some of the Brethren's skin.

However, the difference is not so much in one side being more inclusionary than the other. The intellectuals are more confident in their ability to convince the others of the errors of their ways, similar to the Sanhedrin really thinking those simpleton (aka Cougarboard) Jews are a bunch of dumbasses and too stupid to make their own decisions. So in my mind the intellectuals are every bit as exclusionary, but rather than kick out they just want to kick the simple mindedness out by bringing others up to their level of enlightenment.

I also agree with the lumping into one side or the other. Especially in matters of faith and spiritual experiences. There could be some issues that even the most devout of academics have had such intense spiritual confirmation that they are unable to be objective or academic and even the most devout simpleton has his/her own deep issues that he has yet to intellectually rationalize.

In any case, boobs are in!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #43
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Most "intellectuals" are good guys, then you've got the ones on here who act like they've been repressed by the Church their whole life and feel like they've found a common bond with the other poor repressed souls and love to believe they're on some higher pedestal of light and learning, and seem to be on some kind of bizarre mission to "enlighten" others, when in reality faith is more poweful than their arrogant ways. Faith is more powerful than "intellectualism".

It's amusing if not anything.

I'm glad someone stupid like me is wise and knows this.
I like what Hugh B. Brown said about faith. That we need members who honestly and sincerely test the things that leaders teach, so that there faith goes beyond the surface and becomes stronger. You know intellectually testing the words of the prophets to come to your own knowledge that the words are true.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #44
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I like what Hugh B. Brown said about faith. That we need members who honestly and sincerely test the things that leaders teach, so that there faith goes beyond the surface and becomes stronger. You know intellectually testing the words of the prophets to come to your own knowledge that the words are true.
The ultimate way you test things leaders teach is to DO; study can only take you so far.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #45
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The ultimate way you test things leaders teach is to DO; study can only take you so far.
true, but robots "Do"
Satan's plan was all about the "do".
You've got to have something behind the "do". Then you "do", not because you've been told, but because it's in you.
God wants transformed individuals, not a mindless army.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #46
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
true, but robots "Do"
You've got to have something behind the "do". Then you "do", not because you've been told, but because it's in you.
Satan's plan was all about the "do"? That must've been one helluva hairstyle!

Ok, sorry. Couldn't resist.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #47
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
true, but robots "Do"
How do you go about testing a theory? Do you continue to check out books from the library about what others have written, doodle endlessly in notebooks, etc., or do you design some experiment to test the veracity of the theory?

Well, the only way you're going to determine the veracity of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to actually live it. Your understanding will always be sorely lacking if you only attempt to have an intellectual understanding of it in the abstract.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #48
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
true, but robots "Do"
I agree with Indy on this. You can study the WoW, Law of Chastity, Law of Tithing, etc. all you want and may never come to understand the truthfullness. Live it, and you come to have a personal witness. This is the principle of faith. You don't know for sure, but you take a chance. And by doing so, your faith is strengthened.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #49
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree with Indy on this. You can study the WoW, Law of Chastity, Law of Tithing, etc. all you want and may never come to understand the truthfullness. Live it, and you come to have a personal witness. This is the principle of faith. You don't know for sure, but you take a chance. And by doing so, your faith is strengthened.
You must do both. Automons will not receive exaltation. The Glory of God is intelligence, not mindless obedience.

One must study, think, ponder, pray AND act. Thinkers do NOT dismiss the merits of action, just mindless action.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #50
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You must do both. Automons will not receive exaltation. The Glory of God is intelligence, not mindless obedience.

One must study, think, ponder, pray AND act. Thinkers do NOT dismiss the merits of action, just mindless action.
Is it possible that one can spend time thinking and at the end of the day come to the conclusion that he/she should take mindless action without further thought? What I mean is, what if you think about it and decide that you have decided to follow and further thought on the subject isn't neccesary?

Is your contention that we must be constantly examining what we are being taught and who we are following?