cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #81
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm in the camp that they are entirely possible and they can't conveniently be dismissed by simply claiming those events run contrary to our personal understanding of God. None of us have enough information to know the true calculus of God and what the heirarchy of his governing principles are.
Statements like this fascinate me. You constantly use this logic against those who disbelieve, but why don't you use it against those who do believe, more specifically, why don't you don't employ this logic against your own personal belief system? You profess a devout belief in a God you have never seen and in a religion and God that is completely unverifiable. You say no one has enough enough information to know the "true calculus of God", but you constantly hold forth on what that calculus is. The truth is that you desperately cling to a system of beliefs for which there is basically no evidence. I'm sure you get up every first Sunday and say you "know beyond a shadow of a doubt", but the reality is that you don't know. You might hope, but you certainly don't know. For you to call out other people because they do not know God's ways is beyond audacious. It's plain stupid.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #82
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just discovered an amusing list of quotes.

"I have a personal policy not to ignore anyone."
-- homeboy (aka Jeff Lebowski), 2005-09-06
"The ignore feature is for pansies."
-- homeboy, 2005-11-15
"The ignore feature is for pansies. Take it like a man, bro."
-- homeboy, 2006-01-03
"Repeat after me folks... The ignore feature is for pansies."
-- homeboy, 2006-01-05

"I just put [Tex] on ignore."
-- Jeff Lebowski, 2007-07-12

Draw your own conclusions.
Lebowkis, Tex wants a date with you, he's charting your posts.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #83
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Lebowkis, Tex wants a date with you, he's charting your posts.
Oh crap. He's obsessed with me. I wonder how long it took him to compile that list.

Well, he finally pushed me to it and caused me to abandon my longstanding ethic. He is the only person I have ever ignored. Not Lingo, not ExUte, not even Bill@KK could achieve that. And I have to admit, a Tex-free browsing experience is quite enjoyable. I take back all the bad things I said before about the ignore feature.

And just in case Tex needs another quote for his list, here you go:

"Tex is such a dickhead, he forced me to ignore him." Lebowski, 2007
Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #84
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Oh crap. He's obsessed with me. I wonder how long it took him to compile that list.
Searching Cougarboard for "homeboy" and "pansy" took about 3 seconds.

"Take it like a man, bro."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #85
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Statements like this fascinate me. You constantly use this logic against those who disbelieve, but why don't you use it against those who do believe, more specifically, why don't you don't employ this logic against your own personal belief system? You profess a devout belief in a God you have never seen and in a religion and God that is completely unverifiable. You say no one has enough enough information to know the "true calculus of God", but you constantly hold forth on what that calculus is. The truth is that you desperately cling to a system of beliefs for which there is basically no evidence. I'm sure you get up every first Sunday and say you "know beyond a shadow of a doubt", but the reality is that you don't know. You might hope, but you certainly don't know. For you to call out other people because they do not know God's ways is beyond audacious. It's plain stupid.
No, I called him out for claiming he knew God's ways when I said that no one really knows what God's ways or motivations really are in all instances.

You're arguing with the wrong person. You should be arguing with SoonerCoug who claimed to know what God's ways are.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM   #86
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, I called him out
Are you talking about me? I never claimed to know what god thinks. Remember, I just want him to leave me alone.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM   #87
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Are you talking about me? I never claimed to know what god thinks. Remember, I just want him to leave me alone.
No. What precipitated this entire thread was a comment by SoonerCoug to the effect of 'my God wouldn't do that'. My post, even though it was immediately after yours, was not a response to you; it was a response to Tex's initial question.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 08-03-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 AM   #88
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No. What precipitated this entire thread was a comment by SoonerCoug to the effect of 'my God wouldn't do that'. My post, even though it was immediately after yours, was not a response to you; it was a response to Tex's initial question.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #89
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As we've discussed, the Bible contains several stories of commands unusual for a "New Testament" God:

- Abraham commanded to kill Isaac (Genesis 22:2)
- Israelites commanded to drive out peoples of Canaan (Exodus 34:11)
- Joshua commanded to slay all in Jericho (Joshua 6:21)
- Saul commanded to slay all the Amalekites (1 Samuel 15:3), including the prophet Samuel hacking a man to pieces "before the Lord"

And there are others.

I'm genuinely curious. Who on this board, like me, accepts these stories at face value, and who doesn't? I already know Archaea and SoonerCoug don't, though I think they have different reasons.

Who else? Am I the only one?
I know I am new here and don't have a body of work for you to know my positions, so let me just start by saying my answer to you question is, I do not accept these stories at face value.

Last edited by Flystripper; 08-03-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote